A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Got in an accident, need suggestions(long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-1999, 02:35 PM
Jeff R.

Default Got in an accident, need suggestions(long)

Well I got in a little fender bender yesterday, so I have a few questions. My rear bumper needs replacement and the trunk lid either needs to be fixed or replaced. So my questions are...<p>1. Anyone recommend a aftermarket bumper? I figure the Audi bumper cost $400 dollars, so maybe I can somehow put the money towards a aftermarket bumper instead. (My front bumper/spoiler is stock by the way.)<p>2. Should I push to get a new trunk lid instead of fixing the old one? The 99.5 trunk lid is different then my 98.5 one right? So maybe I would get one of those instead.<p>3. When they fix the trunk lid they take off the name plates, i.e. A4 1.8t etc. So instead of have them putting them back on I could leave them off, so my car would be debadged. For all of those who have done it any regrets? Do you wish you left them on?<p>Any comments are appreciated<p>thanks<br>Jeff<p>1.8T 1998.5 + mods<br>
Old 03-25-1999, 04:47 PM
Cameron

Default Well, here's my $0.02...

If you haven't gotten a determination of fault from your insurance company, do so. If you don't have all of the other drivers' information, use what information you have to get the rest before the accident is old.<p>That having been said, the A!S bumper is aftermarket, but in the $800 price range for one rear bumper.<p>I'd leave the badges off, but that's a preference issue. Make sure there's one quattro badge on the car, or a towing company towing your car by two wheels won't be liable. If your car has a quattro badge, you should be able to sue the towing company for a new driveline if they did not take due care.<p>Not an attorney, not legal advice...<p>Sorry to hear about the accident,<br>Cameron<br>
Old 03-25-1999, 08:40 PM
Mark

Default If it is Allstate get an attorney

Allstate runs a racket the Mafia would be proud of.
Old 03-25-1999, 10:05 PM
Rob B.

Default Re: If it is Allstate get an attorney

I had a horrible experience with Allstate. I had Allstate coverage and so did the person who hit me in the 89 GTi. I had a witness and Allstate didn't want to "believe" the witness because my car had more damage than the other guy who hit me. Because of coverage differences, if they ruled against me, they wouldn't have had to pay for my damages. Hence, they were biased against me despite having an eye witness. Needless to say, I dropped them after I sued them.
Old 03-26-1999, 06:52 AM
GusS

Default and i had a good experience with allstate, so what

Old 03-26-1999, 07:44 AM
Cathleen

Default Re: #2

2. Should I push to get a new trunk lid instead of fixing the old one? The 99.5 trunk lid is<br>different then my 98.5 one right? So maybe I would get one of those instead.<p>They will probably fix it. Just make sure you get a good body shop/paint shop. I saw a horrible job done on an A4 that had been rear ended. The thing was rusting only 6 months after the accident because they went through the galvanized steel when repairing it, then did not properly prime and paint it.<br>Secondly, no matter what part you have replaced on your car, they will give you the part corresponding to your specific model year. In other words, you'll be given a 98.5 trunk, not a 99.5. If the part is interchageable, you might be able to see if they would allow you to "upgrade", but they won't volunteer it. <br>-C.<br>
Old 03-26-1999, 08:43 AM
ErikR

If it is Allstate get an attorney, Concur! Get a good, hungry lawyer for those snakes.
Old 03-26-1999, 01:08 PM
Jeff R

Default Thanks...

My insurance is 20th century and they have been pretty good so far.