A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

got nailed by z28 state trooper on the taconic--new yorkers please respond

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-1999, 09:20 PM
rosco

Default got nailed by z28 state trooper on the taconic--new yorkers please respond

hey all,<p>i got my first ticket on friday on the taconic state parkway in westchester, ny, right by mt. pleasant. i was going about 85-90 (it's hard not to drive that fast when the road and the ride is so smooth), coming over the top of a hill. right as i come over the crest, i see the state trooper parked on the side of the highway, perpendicular to the road. i pump my brakes and try to blend into the traffic, but when i sees him start to pull on the highway, i know it's over. after he pulled me over, he asked if i was aware that i was doing 78 in a 55. i did not admit to it, saying i didn't think i was going that fast. he was pretty nice, and i was extremely polite, but he still wrote me a ticket. i've never even been pulled over before so i was hoping to get off with a warning, but no such luck. <p>i have a couple of questions for those of you org.ers that live in ny. first of all, do i have to go to court, or should i just mail in the ticket with the fine? can i get the speed pleaded down to 9 over the limit, since it's my first time? will it help that it was hazy at the time of my being lasered? how many points is this going to be and how steep a fine (it doesn't say on the ticket)<p>in nc, we had "prayer for judgment" but i don't know what kind of legalities may apply in ny. i'd appreciate any kind of advice, which i thank you all for in advance.<p>was going to chip, but now... it would just get me in more trouble!<p>has anybody else been pulled by a camaro state trooper? sheesh.
Old 07-13-1999, 01:19 AM
StephenM

Default Re: got nailed by z28 state trooper on the taconic--new yorkers please respond

<br>I am not an expert; but this is what I found.<p> You always go to court (expect a zoo). now;<p>1. If trooper does not show(another assignment, sick; whatever) the case is thrown out and you are free and clear(this time). Check the ticket to make sure it is not defective (cop forgot key Info).<p>2. More likely; the trooper shows and in NY(by what I have seen) the trooper is the proscuter. Usualy you talk to the trooper before your case is called. Almost always for a speeding ticket without a poor prior history; the trooper will let you plead bargin the ticket down to a no point charge like not obeying a sign or illegal right on red. You still pay a hefty fine ($80 -$175); but your driving record, insurance and pocketbook are a lot better off than pleading guilty and sending the ticket in.<p>Remember; all this info is based on my experience. there are a lot of people on A4.Org who know this stuff better than me. Good luck.<br>
Old 07-13-1999, 04:31 AM
CharlieG

Default Re: got nailed by z28 state trooper on the taconic--new yorkers please respond

First off, I don't think you have to go to court unitl you reach the "excessive" speed catagory, which from what I remember is something like 30 mph over the posted limit. This should be outlined on the back of the ticket you were issued. Second, if you are not a NYS resident, you are probably better off just mailing in the fine as it is unlikely that this information will get back to your home state and even if it does it is doubtful that for one offense you will be penalized by your insurance company. I got a 77 in a 55 on the Long Island Expressway a few years back and it didn't affect my insurance one bit (first speeding ticket in many years) and I do live here.<p> Second, and I don't mean to be hard-assed about it or to sound like I'm preaching here, but you do admit to driving well in excess of what you were cited for. Why is it that although we all know that driving in excess of the speed limit is a violation of the traffic code and yet when we get pulled over for doing so the first reaction is how do I get out of this? Look, I'm the first one to agree that in many areas the speed limits are set well below what is safe for the area and that I frequently travel in excess of the posted limits myslef but I do not drive reclessly. I take precautions to help minimize my chances of being the one who gets pulled over (radar dectector, watchful of potential speed traps, etc.). However, if you want to play, you've sometimes got to pay ... when something like this happens, be an adult about it. Take your punishment and learn something from the event. I'll bet you'll be much more careful the next time you crest a hill on the highway ...<p>Charlie<br>(98.5 1.8TQMS, 13,000 miles)
Old 07-13-1999, 04:35 AM
---

Default One sentence: You do the crime, you pay the fine. EOM

NT
Old 07-13-1999, 09:34 AM
Baretta

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time
Old 07-13-1999, 10:23 AM
Cris

Default read the ticket carefully...

I haven't gotten a ticket from a trooper in, oh... 5 years. But, I do remember that you can pay the fine by credit card. The price should be on the ticket itself. Now, I remember since you are 20 over, they probably won't let you have the 3 point non-moving violation plead. You may knock a couple of points off, but that's it. They want their money either way.<br>I just paid $380 for 103/65 ticket on the Mass TP. Oh well, lesson learnt. <br>Good luck. Gotta go back to NFS High Stake and learn how to out run the cops! <p>Cris<br>
Old 07-13-1999, 10:38 AM
Adrian

That z28 is on that stretch of Taconic almost all the time!! The two most likely spots for a speed trap on Taconic is where you got nailed and by I 84. Both Charlie and Stephen are correct in respect to the tickets. Since its your first and not at an extreme speed, you probably won't see anything in an insurance hike.<p>However, I would recommend going to court and talking to the officer (who is the prosecutor). NYS Troopers are usually very nice when it comes to speeding, even though they still give you the ticket. If you were not an ******* to him when he pulled you over, chances are that he'll reduce the charge to a lessor offense. However, expect the fine to be the same because there are 'court fees'.<p>The truth is that most of us speed, and sometimes we have to pay. Going to court to contest the ticket is the game we play.
Old 07-13-1999, 10:38 AM
Mark P

Default I used to travel from Danbury, CT to Troy, NY by wayof the Taconic and ...

what I have found is that there are ALWAYS troopers on the Taconic. If you don't see them, it's not because they weren't there, they are ALWAYS there. In the past five years of me driving up to Rensselaer (College in Troy), I have watched many people getting pulled over by the THREE cameros that they have had. I believe they only have two now - Both are Z28's where one is a dark royalish blue and the other is a very dark blue, possibly black. They used to have one of the older style cameros as well. And you will see full-size Bronco's (Like OJ's) setting up radar traps as well.<p>Oh yeah, I'm a CT resident and I got ticked for 70 in a 55. In NYS, you have to send in the (generic NY) ticket to get the fine. Mine was $125. I have never seen any other side effects form the ticket (i.e. points, insurance $) and as well, I have never seen any side effects from the following:<p>70/55 in NJ returning from spring break '95 in Myrtle Beach (I missed a turn and shouldn't have even been on the road) $86<p>60/45 in SC on the way to a wet T-Shirt contest (Myrtle Beach) Woman at police office dropped ticket from $76 to $38 (w/ 2points in SC) Don't know if the 2 points would have been with the $76 original fine. (Summer 1996)<p>70/55 Taconic on the way to a Hootie and The Blowfish concert at S.P.A.C. (summer '96)<p>Ticket for improper Lighting in NY (Blackout kit on Headlights) $35<p>Running a red light in NY Pleaded to a NON-moving violation $100-125? (was making a right turn at a 4-way intersection. I saw the officer coming from the left at the intersection and by the time I stopped, I was just about under the light. He had to make me pull through the intersection to get be hind me as I did not *actually* run the light, but he still ticketed me)<p>So anyway, use your cruise control on the taconic and set it for 65-68. Approx for each 5mph faster you go, you olnly get there 5 min earlier - not worth $125.<p>And yes I have been knocking on wood this whole time because if you should get pulled over in CT (where I am a resident) for speeding, I have not heard of someone getting a ticket for less than $200!!!<p>Whoops, almost forgot:<p>Writen Warning for passing on right at an intersection in CT. There was only one line of traffic to the intersection, yet there was TWO traffic lights. I was turning right at the intersection so passed ~dozen cars on the right to do so until Mr B&W pulled out of Subway.<p>Verbal warning for tint in CT. Earlier post I described my older car with 5% on rear windows and 20% on front.<p>all for now<p>Mark<p>
Old 07-13-1999, 11:03 AM
Brad Bilut

Illinois is doing same thing now. They're driving Mustang GT's, Z-28's, and last week I saw a undercover Ford Aerostar
Old 07-13-1999, 11:13 AM
Shabbis

That's nothing. That State Troopers here in Oregon now have Ford Expeditions. Why they (or anyone for that matter) need something that BBBIIIGGG, I will never know.

Quick Reply: got nailed by z28 state trooper on the taconic--new yorkers please respond