A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Got pulled over... because of Xenons

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-1999, 11:07 AM
stanj

Default Got pulled over... because of Xenons

aSo I am driving at 3am on El Camino Real in Mountain View, minding my own business, with sunroof open and the music blasting. I saw the cop the other direction, so I knew I was not exceeding the posted speed limit. Still he made a U-turn and soon I saw the beautiful lights behind me.<p>He asked me what these headlights were and I told him Stock Xenon. He asked me to turn off the engine and to leave the lights on so I told him that this was not possible. So he stared at the lights, said that he was wondering about their legality and that people do weird things to their headlights. So I said that these are getting more popular in luxury cars and that even Lincolns have them these days. He checked my drivers license and that was it.<p>If he weren't wearing a uniform I coud imagine him in a lowered Integra, so I didn't say too much along blue headlights....<p>I need the auto-leveling device, with my varying loads... Vortrag told me today that they will not sell it separately. Oh joy.<p>- Stan<br>
Old 07-14-1999, 11:19 AM
Mark

A.) I take it they're not stock (cancel that, I just checked the registry - what a good resource)...... B.) Remind me: do the stock lights auto level, and if so how are people adjusting them?
Old 07-14-1999, 11:21 AM
Rob O

Default I think 3AM is the key...

He probably used the headlights simply as an excuse to pull you over, just to make sure nothing "funny" was going on since you were out at the wee hour of 3 am. The headlights being visibly different give him a "probable cause" excuse should you have been drinking or something (kinda like the old "burned out tail light excuse). I once got pulled over at 2 in the morning for having 1 of 2 license plate lights being burned out. Pah-leeze!<p>I see so many true HIDs and xenons (MBs, Infinities, Porsches) that I can't imagine he thought you were in violation. Of course, you're in Cali...<p><a href="mailto:roverca@uswest.com">Rob O</a>
Old 07-14-1999, 11:40 AM
Cathleen

Default Re: Xenons

Sorry Vortrag can't help but unfortunately the leveling devices are part of the package and don't come separately.<br>I assume yours are the Hella's from LLTek? Why can't they get them for you?<br>-C.
Old 07-14-1999, 11:51 AM
randall

vortrag sells Xenons?
Old 07-14-1999, 12:15 PM
Andy Hedin

Stock lights (non-Xenon) DO NOT auto-level
Old 07-14-1999, 12:26 PM
stanj

They will soon
Old 07-14-1999, 12:28 PM
Dmak

Default Same here

Samething happened to me a while ago.. Cops stopped me and did a double look at my xenon headlights... He had walked infront of my car and started backing up to see if it was illegal blue Cr#$... Showed him my license and that was that...<p>DMak 1.8TQMS
Old 07-14-1999, 12:29 PM
stanj

Default Some answers...

Stock lights don't auto-level. Stock Xenon lights will auto-level because it's mandated by law. LLtek sold the lights without the gyro, vortrag will be selling them with.<p>I will try to get a gyro from home (Switzerland).<p>And you may want to use shorter subject lines or a [nt] in it :-)<p>- Stan<br>
Old 07-14-1999, 12:46 PM
Arch57

Default Oncoming Xenons

I've noticed the Xenons on other cars (MB, 99 Acura TL) and as they approach you I find it a slight annoyance. The "blueish" tint seems distracting. Now I understand that when your driving with them they are great but has anyone else noticed this with oncoming Xenons.<p>Arch57 99.5 2.8QMS

Quick Reply: Got pulled over... because of Xenons