A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Got pulled over for my tint today! Could someone help me out.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got pulled over for my tint today! Could someone help me out.

I was pulled over for tint today and the cop was a complete dick and he wrote on the ticket 30% side window tint. the statute that he wrote down is TR305.32(4)(B) If someone could help me out and find what this means that would be friggen super.

thank you very much.
kyle

By the way i live in wisconsin
Old 05-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How was the cop a dick for ticketing you for something that is illegal?
Old 05-14-2005, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default here you go, and ignore Mica.

<a href="http://www.eclipsetints.com/legality.html">Wisconsin Tint info</a>
Old 05-14-2005, 05:43 PM

Default here..(LONG)

Trans 305.32 Vent, side and rear windows.
(1) All glass used in vent, side or rear windows shall be safety glass and shall be plainly marked to identify it as safety glass, or a certification from the glass supplier stating that the glass is approved safety glass shall be carried in the vehicle during operation or vehicle inspection, or both. All glazing in the vent, side or rear windows shall be free of sharp edges severe enough to cause injury, cracks, etching, damage or other conditions which distort
or interfere with vision.

(2) All front side windows in the driver's compartment which need to open for the making of arm signals shall operate so as to permit the making of arm signals.

(3) The vent and front side windows may not have cloudiness or etching in excess of 2 inches from any edge. The rear window may not have cloudiness or etching in excess of 2 inches from any edge unless the vehicle is equipped with an outside rearview mirror on the left and right side of the driver's compartment.

(4)(a) The vent and front side windows may not have any sign, poster or other nontransparent material upon them, other than a certificate or sticker issued by order of a governmental agency.

(b) Tinting of the vent and front side windows is permitted as follows:1. The windows are tinted by the manufacturer of the glazing and are installed as part of the original manufacturing process.

2. The windows are tinted by the application of tinting film to the inside of the glazing provided that the combination of the glazing and tinting film permits passage through the windows of at least 50% of the visible light striking the windows. Tinting films permitted under this subdivision may not be reflective.

3. The windows are tinted, upon the recommendation of a physician or a Christian Science practitioner treating the owner, or an
immediate family member of the owner of the vehicle, by the application of tinting film to the inside of the glazing provided that the combination of the glazing and tinting film permits passage through the windows of at least 35% of the visible light striking the windows. Tinting films permitted under this subdivision may not be reflective. A written statement from the treating physician or Christian Science practitioner which identifies the patient, the medical condition justifying the recommendation, whether the condition is temporary or permanent
and the vehicle to which the recommendation applies, including the make, model, year and vehicle identification number, shall be carried in the vehicle at all times. Tinting film applied under this subparagraph shall be removed when a vehicle covered by the recommendation is sold, when the person for whom a recommendation was made no longer resides in the household of the owner of the vehicle or when the duration of a temporary condition which is the basis for a recommendation has expired.

(5)(a) The rear window may not have any sign, poster or other nontransparent material upon it, other than a certificate or sticker issued by order of a governmental agency.

(b) Tinting of the rear window is permitted as follows:

1. The window is tinted by the manufacturer of the glazing and is installed as part of the original manufacturing process.

2. The window is tinted by the application of tinting film to the inside of the glazing provided that the combination of the glazing and tinting film permits passage through the window of at least 35% of the visible light striking the window. The tinting films permitted under this subdivision may not be reflective.

3. If a rear window does not transmit at least 60% of the visible light striking the window, the vehicle shall be equipped with an outside rearview mirror on the left and right side of the driver's compartment.

(6) Tinting of rear side windows is permitted as follows:
(a) The windows are tinted by the manufacturer of the glazing and are installed as part of the original manufacturing process.

(b) The windows are tinted by the application of tinting film to the inside of the glazing provided that the combination of the glazing and tinting film permits passage through the windows of at least 35% of the visible light striking the window. The tinting films permitted under this subdivision may not be reflective.

(7) When measuring total light transmittance under subs. (4) (b), (5) (b) and (6), law enforcement officers shall allow a tolerance of 3%.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Joey T

Default How did he measure the light permissivity? (sp)

What tool did he use to establish what percent your windows allow?

No tool?

No ticket.

Hre is the deal.. yer gonna spend money. You can either spend $500 on a lawyer and a fine, or spend $500 on the fine.

So fvck with em as much as you can, get a supporting deposistion, get a lwayer, waste the courts time. The more time of the cops you waste the less likely he is to write frivolous tickets in the future.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:57 PM

Default well,, you know that is the reaction..

it is normal for people to feel put off by getting a ticket..no matter if it is their fault or not. It doesn't sound like the cop was a dick though. When I first started, some of the guys actually pulled people over and scratched the tint in order to ruin it. That was 15 years ago and things have changed a bit around here from then. And one of the guys would punch holes in subs if you were pulled over for booming on the strip. It gets much worse than a meesly ticket.
J
Old 05-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Banned

Yes.. Ignore me. You were 100% innocent. The cop had no reason to ticket you for illegal tint.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Banned

Odds are if it's a tint ticket... Get a shop to say the tint was removed, pay the fine, and move on.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:07 PM

Default human eye and flashlight...

it's not hard to measure within legal specs, the % allowed is minimal. You have the burden of proof if you feel the tint is within spec. $500 for a lawyer? The lawyers here are much more than that. $500 for the fine sounds steep especially for first offense. As far as wasting a cops time, many of us love to kick back and go to court..we get paid for it...easy work when it comes to traffic offenses. No, his best bet is one of two things. One, try to get a doctor's note to allow one to be exempt. Two, pay the ticket and remove the tint..you have to show proof of the removal which is checked off by an officer of the court or your local police station.
J
Old 05-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Joey T

Default Human eye.

Wow, you call tell the difference between 37% and 35%?

If not, you are writing tickets for no reason, with no evidence to back up your complaint.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over for my tint today! Could someone help me out.