A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Got Wett today (long, probably boring)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-1998, 05:11 PM
MikeP

Default Got Wett today (long, probably boring)

Well, I finally took the plunge and chipped my 99 1.8TQSTip. I called Kelly @ Wett this past Wed and scheduling to have my chip installed at Wett on Fri @noon. They where closed, but Chris offered to come in and set me and another org’r –Eric from NW Chicago-up with our chips.<p>I live in Cincinnati and it’s just about 285miles to Valparaiso from my home. I left at 8:00est not knowing how traffic would be through Indy. Well I got there in 3.5 hours for an avg of 81+mph. BTW, did I mention I’ve a V1? So, I had to waste a couple-o-hrs at Wal-Mart, eating lunch etc.<p>My car is brand new and I only had 2200 miles on it prior to this trip. Well, I was very pleased with the way the car drove/felt on the way up. Cruises very nicely at 80-90 w/o any problamo. If I needed to get around a truck or granny it would do so but not with a lot of gusto. <p>Chris arrived about 12:30cst while I was lounging around in the grass there in front of the bldg. He immediately began removing my ECU. Eric showed up about 5 min later and he yanked his ecu also.<p>Chris was a great host! He showed us around the office, gave us a lesson in how to install sockets the ‘Wett Way’, and he demonstrated the WVTool for testing the ecu after the sw upload. Very cool stuff. <p>Well, we popped my ecu back in about 30min later and I took her for quick spin around the block. Definitely felt a big diff running up through the grears. Yer eyeballs don’t pop out the back of your head or anything, just a good strong pull that wasn’t there an hour earlier.<p>I couldn’t wait to get back on 65 south to see how it felt at highway speeds and during passing maneuvers!<p>I said my goodbyes, and thank you’s to Chris and Eric and took off.<p><br>So, I get on 65 and start playing around once I get free of the heavy traffic around 30E. MAN, this thing REALLY goes when you ask for a little juice. I set my cruise control at 80 and made notice of the fact that the revs were exactly the same as stock-approx:3025. When I would step on it to go around some one or shoot a gap, WHAM, I was @ 100+ lickity split. HUGE difference in the way this car feels at speed. Now I’ve got some bullets in my holster and I’m locked and loaded baby! ;-). This has to be the way this car was meant to be. It feels just like the V6, just as smooth and strong-maybe stronger! ;-).<p>V1 saved my butt on two occasions coming back. I was tooling along about 90 towing a couple-o-hangers on and got a quick, strong brap in the KA band and stepped on stop pedal. About 10 seconds later an unmarked trooper went by in the opposite direction. I started to accelerate and BRAAAAAAAP, full on from the rear. The trooper had nailed somebody behind me with instant on. WHEW. <p>GET A V1.<p>Anyway, IMHO, anyone who has a 1.8T and enjoys driving has to chip to really see what this car is all about. It’s a no-brainer.<p>PHENOMENAL. GO FOR IT! <p>Hey Eric, how was your trip back?<p>MikeP<br>99 1.8TQSTipWett.<br>
Old 11-27-1998, 05:44 PM
Drew

Default Re: Got Wett today (long, probably boring)

When I do 80 my rpm's are more like 3400
Old 11-27-1998, 05:51 PM
Steve S.

Drew..did you notice he has got a tiptronic? that is why the RPM is probably different
Old 11-27-1998, 06:54 PM
E-Rock

Default MikeP, highways were littered with troopers, but....

that wasn't about to stop me from testing out my new found power. (Next investment = V1.) The car was great before the 1.0 bar, now it's even better. For the first time in my life, I didn't mind stopping for all those tolls. It gave me a chance to really test out the chip. Quite noticeable increase in power in 2nd and 3rd, right where it was badly needed. I'm no longer getting passed by every econobox out there.<p>I deliberated for months over which chip to get. I have absolutely no regrets with the Wett decision. Well...just one regret...I SHOULD'VE DONE IT SOONER!!!!!!!!<p>Thanks Chris @ Wetterauer for sacrificing your personal time to take care of Mike and myself. Yet another reason to go get Wett.<p>Thanks to everyone who has contributed info on this subject. It made my decision an informed one...not a shot in the dark