A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Gremlins in the auto-unlocking doors (more)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2000, 12:05 PM
ESN

Default Gremlins in the auto-unlocking doors (more)

I had my dealer reprogram the doors so that they automatically lock @ 15 mph and unlock when the key is removed from the ignition. However, every once in a while, when I pull the key out only the driver's door unlocks (just as if I had pressed the remote a single time). In order to unlock the remaining doors and trunk I then have to either press the unlock button on the driver's door or hit the remote. My dealer is giving me the old "intermittant problem - unable to replicate." Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 02-01-2000, 12:17 PM
leeep

Default That's normal...

... let's see if I can explain this...

1) If the only door locked at 15mph automatically is the driver's door, only the driver's door will unlock when you pull out the key.

2) If all the doors were unlocked and locked automatically at 15mph, *all* will unlock when you pull out the key.

The system basically relies on the initial conditions at the time it auto-locks and reverses this when you pull the key out.

I hope that made sense. =)

-eric
Jaspis/Opal '00 Avant 1.8TQTipS
Old 02-01-2000, 01:32 PM
Brad Bilut

I concur captain, that's normal
Old 02-01-2000, 02:09 PM
marmer

Default It depends on when you _unlocked_ the car.

If you unlocked the driver's door only with one press of the remote, the driver's door unlocks when you pull the key.

If you unlocked all doors with two presses then all doors will unlock.

Often I do this on my way home from work if there's stuff I will want to get out of the car at home. I'll unlock the whole car if I'm just opening the driver's side so that the trunk and/or side doors will unlock when I get home.

Marty

99.5 2.8 Avant Casablanca/Ecru/Blue
Old 02-02-2000, 05:04 AM
PeteP

Maybe you ought to question your dealer's knowledge of product he sells and services.
Old 02-02-2000, 07:45 AM
HerrSlube

Default Gremlins in the auto-LOCKING (stationary) doors (more)

I had this happen once, and the one time I tried to duplicate it, I couldn't. I plan to try again.

About a month before this happened, at my 5k service, I had the dealer reprogram my 99.5 tqms to have the 15 kph locking (as well as the window up/down with remote).

Here's the scenario: I still had the key in the ignition, so all the doors were still locked after pulling into my garage. I open the driver's door, then pull the key out of the ignition, then get out and shut the door. I happened to stay in the garage for an extra ~2 minutes, dinking around about 10 feet away when I hear the door locks engage. I think "that's strange, but maybe the key fob just got depressed in my pocket." I unlock the car using the remote and go back to what I was doing. It happens again about 2 minutes later, and I unlock with the remote. I decide to put the remote on my work bench, buttons up, even though I'm pretty sure there's no way it got pressed the last time. It happens again after about 2 minutes, and then again after another 2 minutes. After the last time I decide to open the driver's door and lock/unlock with the door button. After that it doesn't happen again. I tried the to repeat it about 2 weeks later, when I happened to remember about it, but it didn't happen.

Maybe my remote is intermittantly transmitting on it's own, but you'd think my batteries would be toast by now if that was true. (BTW my remote still has about 100 ft range.)

Just weird, that's all. It probably wouldn't happen (hopefully) with the keys still in the ignition, but I carry a spare in my wallet anyway. Maybe someday I'll get a call from my wife at a gas station on a day when she borrows it, but I won't worry until then.

Just thought I'd mention it, in case the Audi engineers scan this bb. ( I happen to write embedded software myself, and know how trouble reports can come from anywhere.)
Old 02-02-2000, 08:22 AM
DaveN

Default If you unlock with a remote and don't open the door it will relock...

so that would explain part of your result, but not all of it.
Old 02-02-2000, 09:40 AM
Dank

What's the question? Dealer just sells the car, fans know it.