A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Grinding chain/gear noise when decelerating

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding chain/gear noise when decelerating

I have noticed a distinct grinding noise when decelerating. This seems to be coming from any rpm range from 5500 down to about 1500. It seens to be high pitch and reminds me of something that sounds like a loose chain or gears grinding. The noise is smooth and occurs each time I decelerate and it is concurrent with the amount of rpms. i.e. louder with more chings at higher rpm and slowly decelerates with the engine slowing down. Fluid levels are ok.

I recently had my wastegate replaged, I drive a 1998.5 1.8 Q, chipped. Is there anyone with suggestions or seen a similar problem
Old 10-19-2002, 01:48 PM
f3d
AudiWorld Uber User

brakes?
Old 10-19-2002, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default mine has similar noise. have someone...

rev the car while in neutral while you listen under the car. mine makes the same noise if idle standing still or while decelerating like you described. on my car the noise definitely comes from under the car behind the rear wheel on driver side. i haven't gotten motivated enough to actually jack the car up to see what would be making the noise, but i know for sure it's coming from there. let me know if you can hear the same. i drive 98 1.8tqm.
Old 10-19-2002, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: brakes?

Nah, I have a break squeaking problem that's out of control too, but that's definitely a totally different thing. So...basically when I start slowing down, people know that I'm coming. From both the engine/tranny noise and brakes.

Also, the noise I am referring to occurs when I'm in gear, and also if I am in neutral. (manual tranny)
Old 10-19-2002, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: mine has similar noise. have someone...

That location makes me think it might be the turbo, and maybe linked to the wastegate replacement I just had done. I think it might have started right afterwards.
Old 10-19-2002, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no, the wastegate is part of the turbo. my noise is directly above a ?resonator? inline...

with the exhaust. almost all the way in the back. to the point that until i got under my car to put my ear by the noise, i thought it was part of the brake assembly on the rear left wheel. after i got under car, the noise was definitey not coming from brakes but higher up, actually part of the car's underneath. like i said, i didn't actually see what was making the noise, but i tried feeling up around the noise. i felt nothing. as soon as i get a chance i'll put the car up on stands and check everything under there. it almost sounds like a loose washer vibrating. go try listening while someone revs it. i am anxious to know if this is what affects you as well.
Old 10-19-2002, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: no, the wastegate is part of the turbo. my noise is directly above a ?resonator? inline...

cool. I post if I find anything out. Thanks for the info. If you know of anything new please lemme know. Have a great day.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Could be exhaust heat shield rubbing on rear driveline

Happened to me, I thought I'd ****ed up the diff but was just a loose heat shield. Only noisy when decelerating, since it shifted the driveline into a position where it contacted the bent heat shield.
Old 10-19-2002, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What gear?
Old 10-20-2002, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

what kind of fix?

Quick Reply: Grinding chain/gear noise when decelerating