A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Groaning Noise from Mintex Pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-1999, 02:45 PM
Raja

Default Groaning Noise from Mintex Pads

Just installed a set of front RedBox pads last Monday and today after several hours of stop and go driving, I get on the brakes and hear a long groaning noise coming from the front pads. What could be the cause of this. I had them installed at VW Sport and am looking for some comments before bringing the car back in to them.

Raja
Old 08-22-1999, 11:15 AM
James R.

Default You got on the brakes....do you mean like a panic stop...(more)

You realize these pads require bedding in...it's no joke. If you want to fully relize the potential of the pad you have to take the bedding in process seriously. I remember reading somewhere on the board that the Mintex Red Box are stock on German A4's...we don't get them simply because (in the US) they don't trust us to bed them properly.

If you panic stopped you may have glazed the pad reducing it's braking efficiency and increasing the chances that the brakes will squeal. You can quite easily remove the pads and sand them down...then reinstall and bed the in properly.

BTW - I don't know why anyone bothers with having brakes installed by someone else...it's soooo easy to do and you don't really need any exotic tools. If it's a matter of how you like to spend your time, then fine...that's cool. But if you're shying away cause you think it's too hard, believe it's not, especially the front brakes.

Anyhow, I just changed over to the Red Box myself yesterday...and I installed Brembo Crossdrilled rotors. When I first lightly applied the brakes it made a pretty coarse sanding kinda sound...which is normal as the new pads and rotors are getting to know each other, so to speak. I haven't had a chance to really get on it cause the pads need more time to bed in properly once they do I'll try and get a better idea of how good this combination of rotor and pad works out.

BTW - Did you use any anti squeal compound...this can be helpfull in the extraneous noise dept.

Regards,

James R.

99 1.8TMS (Brembo Rotors, Mintex Red Box, Bilstein Shocks, Neuspeed Sport Springs and Front Anti Sway Bar, Neuspeed 0.8 Bar Chip, Ram Air Filter, Remus Exhaust, Ronal R-28's 17" x 8.5", Euro Corners + Markers...tint all the way around and probably some other stuff I've missed.)