A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

grrrrrrr! stratmosphere ss install w/o circlip pliers, any ideas? tia

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

grrrrrrr! stratmosphere ss install w/o circlip pliers, any ideas? tia
Old 04-11-2002, 08:31 PM

Default You are gonna need it...

PITA install..but well worth it
Go to walmart..or a 24 hour place and get a pair..
Old 04-11-2002, 08:33 PM

Default oh, i know i need it. :) problem is, walmart is only open till 10 here. (m)

and i have no shift linkage. Hah. Fun, Fun.

oddly, home depot didn't have any. Grr.

don't really want to put the thing back in, but grr......! thought i could get by w/o it, but apparently not. damn
Old 04-11-2002, 08:52 PM

Default If you are careful and patient you can remove that clip without a circlip plier. You can insert a

very small flat screw driver between the ends and spread the clip enough to slide it up the shaft. Just be careful to spread it far enough so you don't have to force it out of the groove.
BTDT several times with other clips .. the last when I needed to do a road side repair of the UUC SS in my car and didn't have the pliers with me.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:05 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yeah....get circlip pliers....=P....two pairs of pliers plus creatively bent paper clip maybe?......

worth a shot
Old 04-11-2002, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Whoa, did I just catch a slip up??

yippers:
The circlip on the 2000 cars is an INSIDE circlip. The groove is around the clip, not the clip around the groove. Spreading will do little good. You need to compress this circlip, not expand it.

Now maybe you had something else in mind, you're almost always spot on with your advice... Or maybe the 1999.5's are different.

axm135:
try some bailing wire or dental floss or high tension fishing line. put it through both holes on the circlip, and cross them. pull the free ends of the wire to bring the ends of the circlip together. This might help to get the circlip out, but I'm not sure how you're going to get it back in..
HTH, good luck!
Old 04-11-2002, 09:27 PM

Default Good catch. I have a 99.5 and it is an expanding clip that sits in a groove cut in the shaft.

I didn't know that the 2000s screwed that up too . Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-11-2002, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Of course, we have no "real" idea of what year axm135's car is, but since he has a strat shifter...

must be at non-pushdown, and therefore a 2000? right?

The circlip on the 2000 models is a monster. My regular size circlip pliers from HD barely worked on it, only after much swearing and slipping did it finally come out. To put it back in, I used a small zip tie and compressed it, put the clip back in and cut the tie. You can kinda see the 2000 clip in the UUC instructions for 2000 models...<ul><li><a href="http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/pdf/UUC%20Motorwerks%20Audi%202000%20A4%20NPD%20Instal l.pdf">UUC instructions</a></li></ul>
Old 04-11-2002, 09:59 PM

Default I don't know how 'true' this is .. never been able to get a difinitive answer but supposedly some of

the later build date 99.5s are non push down. But I suspect you are right .. he likely has a &gt;99.5.
There is probably some special VAG tool for the inside clips .. only 99.99 at your friendly VAG tool distributor. It makes me nuts that manufacturers make things so damn difficult for field work. From what I've read of the 2000 installs the older push downs are cake by comparison. It takes me less than 20 minutes to yank my shifter and re-install it. Getting to the hex head cap screw that clamps the shifter shaft to the shifter linkage is easy with a long ball end allen wrench.
Thankfully it is easy because when I first installed the UUC I looked at the nylon nut and thought with all that lubricant that is likely to loosen. I let myself be convinced that UUC MUST know better than me. When it backed of just as I hit neutral, shifting from 3rd to fourth 30 miles south of home and no tools. I ended up reassembling it on the side of the freeway but not until after walking a mile to a pay phone to ask my daughter to bring the required tools. Everything except the circlip pliers I asked for ... dropped those in the garage.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:43 AM

Default well, to post a followup --- i couldn't get ahold of circlip pliers, so i simply (m)

used my big brawny muscle combined with a pair of needle nose pliers. that worked just jim dandy. a little force was needed, but got it out &amp; back in.

i must say this strat SS is a damn fine piece of work....the install was a little annoying, but not too bad all things considered. worth the money, i love to shift even more now.

and oh --- for those interested, the strat SS's total throw is about the distance (maybe a little less) of the first "notch" on a given gear.....very tight. i drove around giggling like a schoolboy for at least an hour.

Quick Reply: grrrrrrr! stratmosphere ss install w/o circlip pliers, any ideas? tia