A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

GTI muscles in on A4 1.8T! (LONG!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-1999, 04:12 PM
Joho

Default GTI muscles in on A4 1.8T! (LONG!)

I am here to confess that I am one sick puppy.
While buying floormats for the A4, my wife and I spotted a 2000 GTI VR6 on the lot and... I had to have it, so I got it. So for anyone cross shopping here are my thoughts (an apples and oranges comparison):

Actually, when we were originally shopping we narrowed it down to the GTI VR6 and the 1.8Tqms - problem was the GTI didn't really exist yet, it was just a pretty picture in a brochure. We never could drive one or get a firm answer about when one would be available. We sat in one at the Detroit autoshow and were very impressed by its level of equipment and quality. In the end, we decided on the Audi because of the quattro and the growing aftermarket for the 1.8T.

Well, I think we made the right choice, the Audi '99 1.8t is the better car in my mind. How do they stack up?

Better interior: Audi (cool metal trim, red gauges, better ergonomics)
Amenities: VW (Rain sensor wipers, dimming mirror)
Style: Audi (The A4 IS a classic, copied by many. The GTI is basically a Golf, for better or worse)
Build quality: Tie (Duh)
Fit and Finish: Tie (Audi has nicer materials in places you don't normally look, i.e.headliner)
Handling: A4 (Feels hunkered down and stable, the GTI is sorta jumpy in a fun way)
Power: VW (but I think the GTI has an electronic throttle, which is kinda wierd, very sensisitive)
Transmission: Audi (The GTI 5-speed is REALLY clunky, alot like the Z3 actually, but I do like its higher gearing)
Engine: Audi (The 1.8T is SO smooth, because it is longitudinally mounted)
Driveline: VW (The quattro does seem to reapportion torque jerkily when you lift off.)
Steering: Audi (One of the most precise of any car I've driven, yet not heavy)
Braking: VW (The Audi has a little play in the pedal before the brakes bite)
Convenience: VW (C'mon, its a hatchback! The flip forward seats make it easy to put your briefcase behind the seat, easier than opening another door)
Cool factor: VW (There are hardly any GTIs where I live, and with its bright red paint it gets noticed! A4s are not real common, but they are hardly rare)

Ok, so the A4 is better IMHO. Why the GTI then? Well, its a strong second and I was really getting tired of my SUV. I still need the convenience of a hatchback and an A4 Avant was beyond my budget. It is a really fun car, kinda rambunctious in a way. I have always envied GTI drivers; they always look like they are having fun. I also like the idea that it shares chassis with the TT and it has gotten really good reviews in Europe too. Its like a little luxury car, with all the fun of a hot hatch. The downside is that the GTI VR6 seems to be as rare or rarer than the TT! (I was not able to get anything close to the deal we got on the A4, from the same dealer.)

I think that most of this would apply to the Jetta GLX as well since it shares so much with the GTI. Though I have not driven a Jetta, I understand that the Jetta's suspension is tuned differently - the GTI is closer to the TT, while the Jetta is supposed to be ride biased. I think the GTI is a better car than the Jetta. Little touches like the dark wood trim and big things like a more useful bodystyle makes the GTI seem to be a better choice. The A4 seems to be clearly better than the Jetta from what I hear, even in FWD configuration.

Bottom line, with two great cars now my wife and I won't have to fight over the Audi!

I hope this has helped or amused someone.

JohnO
'99 1.8Tqms silver "Hans"
'00 GTI VR6 flame red "Franz?"
Old 10-01-1999, 04:14 PM
JohnO

Default Whoops, I'm JohnO, not Joho!

nt
Old 10-01-1999, 04:19 PM
Mike Kwok

John, the ultimate Golf is the V6 4matic. Not available in the US. I'm getting sick of that!
Old 10-01-1999, 04:36 PM
Uzanak

Default Congrats!! We have kinda same combo too....

I traded my Avant in for S4 last week. After I got my wife a Golf GLS(she cant drive stick otherwise...). It is very cool to have Audi&VW in same garage. Yes I agree with you on Golf is a functional vehicle(hatchback makes almost Avant).
I hope they sell 4door GTI automatic here(do they even make that?). That would be a nice combo for husband&wife(no fighting).

Anyway, Congrats!

Uzanak
00 S4
99 Golf GLS
Old 10-01-1999, 04:37 PM
GPH

That's "4motion", which has 204hp 24v-VR6 & AWD; VWvortex says may be US-bound MY2001
Old 10-01-1999, 04:42 PM
JohnO

Default Yeah, I know. 204hp too! Did you know...

...that the top GTI in Europe will be a 2.9 liter V6 -DIESEL- with 4motion!? Wierd. Anyways, I wasn't in a position to wait around. Besides I'm somewhat involved in the auto industry and based on my experience I'm about as skeptical that the new 24v VR6 will make it to the U.S. in the next 18 months as I am that we'll see a new A4 here in the states before 2002.

JohnO
Old 10-01-1999, 04:55 PM
pauls

Default Traded in my GTIVR6 for the A42.8QM and.........

All I can say is the GTI was really fun and in a straight line (and rolling) acceleration was a total blast and the A4 isn't in the same league. As far as functional that thing was also great. The A4 isn't as functional by a long shot won't accelerate nearly as strong so I miss the VR6 but not sorry I traded. The A4 is twice or three times the car. Better suspension, steering and handling. Fit and finish are also better but the huge difference is the traction. The VR6 is a totally squirrely if there is any compromise on the pavement at all at any speed practically but ridiculous off the line or below 40. Wet, sand, oil, snow anything and your outta control, I mean like scary, and it was truely marginal in the snow. A4 is the complete opposite and I love it, my attitude is even different driving it. And when its wet I'm a happy camper :-)
Good luck with your car!
P
Old 10-01-1999, 05:13 PM
JohnO

Default New GTI has EDL, ASR and M+S biased tires - not as good as AWD but better than nothing!

nt
Old 10-01-1999, 06:16 PM
Steve S.

Default Ken...I tried to call you today...at you know where...

Give me an email with whats up....

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 10-01-1999, 06:39 PM
Mike Kwok

Diesel??..... Wow.........(torque city....)

Quick Reply: GTI muscles in on A4 1.8T! (LONG!)