A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Is this guy farting at me? (little long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-1999, 05:56 PM
Kewl A4

Default Is this guy farting at me? (little long)

today happened to drive fast with bunch of other folks. was trying to change to right lane, but suddenly one honda (not sure if it is crx) guy accelarates behind me in the right lane. so i waited until he passed me and got into right lane. He toggled his emergency lamps 3 times and goes off. <p>I never saw this kind of gesture. Does it really mean something? I didn't have a chance to follow him as I had to take the exit.<p>just curious to know so that i can avoid him next time or may be shut his enthu (if he is not a kid).<p>kewl guy<p>
Old 06-22-1999, 06:22 PM
IronMike

He was challenging you to race
Old 06-22-1999, 07:31 PM
CH

Default Like IronMike said he was

challenging you to a race. Emergency blinkers are also used after the race to show that you won (person blinking is winner). At least that's what I've seen from all of these so called "racers". Racing on public streets is a no-no. But I'm sure you know that already.
Old 06-22-1999, 07:50 PM
Mark

Default Re: Is this guy farting at me? (little long)

Truck drivers use it to either thank you for letting them in, say you're in the left lane (usually) and he wants to come out to pass the car or whatever is in front of him. You flash your lights to let him in, he merges in and he flashes his blinkers 3 times to thank you. Or atleast that what they do here in the midwest.<p>Also, here in the midwest, they flash their blinkers to warn you of something ahead. Say you're travelling down the freeway at 65 or whatever, and all of a sudden there's something up ahead that you have to brake for, all the semi trucks here flash their blinkers as they hit the brakes.<p>Well, that's how they do it here atleast...<p>Mark
Old 06-22-1999, 08:12 PM
kewl a4

Default I can't believe this guy challeging me ...

on a local road with office traffic on. Lot of people drive half minded on this road. thank god i didn't join him.<p>Mark, I am in East. You can't expect the same nice gestures here :-))<p>Kewl guy
Old 06-22-1999, 09:53 PM
Marcus Frost

Default Had similar experience today

My friend and I were in his Ford Mustang Cobra Convertible, and him being the person he is, came up to a Chevy Monte Carlo Z34 and revved the engine at him. We had cars in front of us, so racing was not an option (and besides, my friend knows better than to race on public and congested streets) so we went along and he got in front of us. At this time he blinked his rear lights three times as us, which we knew meant he wanted to race. We made a right after he did on a street (we made a right because we had to go in that direction to our next destination) and he made a left onto the nearest vacant street and pulled over to wait for us. We kept going. <p>It would not have even been a contest, you never know what is in these cars now a days so it's not for certain. Interesting that this happened today and I came across this post.<p>Marcus Frost<br>99.5 1.8TQM (D Status)
Old 06-22-1999, 10:25 PM
stanj

Default Where I come fron, a "thank you" goes as follows...

left - right - left. All around Europe, standard, you pass someone who kindly lets you by somewhere where he had to go out of his way, after passing you flash l-r-l. I have seen this practiced a number of times around here in the silicon valley - I guess a high number of friendly Europeans :-)<p>- Stan<br>