A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Guys need help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2000, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys need help!

I tried putting in my turbo timer but was stopped because i couldn't get the dayam radio out. I searched the archives and made the credit card tool to put into the slots but it wouldn't pop out. Is there a trick to it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance fellow AW'ers.
Old 10-19-2000, 12:03 PM

You can probably get the real tool from the dealer. I got mine from Scosche.
Old 10-19-2000, 12:16 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default The real tool is a flimsy piece of aluminum. My dealer gave me two for free. Go ask them.

They look like beer can tabs.
Old 10-19-2000, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice from someone who's removed the radio NUMEROUS times........

here's what you have to do..

you don't need the actual removal tool... you can make your own, or just use one of those really thin "eyeglasses repair" screwdrivers. A phillips works best because the tapered tip will guide itself past the latch (see below)

When you insert it into the slot,you have to catch the little latch inside the slot and then pry it in. If you take a flashlight and look into the slot, you should be able to see the metal latch. The latch pulls towards the center of the radio to release it.

There is a trick to catching the latch.... and it's all in how you angle the tool when inserting it. For example, when inserting the tool in the passenger side slot, the tip should point towards the passenger side front tire, and the handle should point towards the drivers side rear tire. When you push the screwdriver in, you want to sort of "ride" the outside wall of the slot until the screwdriver hits the latch. At that point, you need to short of wiggle the screwdriver and it should slide past the latch. (this is where the taper of the screwdriver comes in handy) Then when you feel the screwdriver "bottom out" just pry the handle towards the passenger seat and you will feel the spring loaded latch pull away. Then you sort of have to wiggle it a little and shimmy that side of the radio out just enough to keep the latch from popping back in place when the tool is removed. Now move over to the drivers side slot and do the same thing. Point the tip of the tool to the outside edge of the slot- or drivers side front tire, and the handle towards the passenger side rear tire, and release that latch. Now you should be able to just shimmy the radio out.

Hope this helps.