A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Has anyone bought the HID Xenon headlights through Valeo??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2001, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone bought the HID Xenon headlights through Valeo??

I just ordered mine yesterday and they said it should take about two weeks for them to come in. Damn the anticipation!! I have yet wondered how well they work.

I also plan on getting extra xenons for either my fogs or high beams. Any thoughts or help on this?
Old 02-15-2001, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xenon lights are a different technology, not a different bulb

The xenon lights made by Valeo that you are buying are a good product. However, there is not a true xenon replacement for fogs or high beams.

For one thing it's not necessary.

In fog lights, you don't necessarily want a brighter light. Fog lights colored yellow work well and xenon light is closer to white than halogen light, so it's probably a poor choice for a fog light bulb, unless you are looking for a cosmetic look instead of real function.

The halogen high beams on our cars are excellent. You can't really ask for much more functionally. Spend your money on a different worthwhile mod. Don't spend it replacing perfectly functional lights.
Old 02-15-2001, 01:11 PM

Default Manuel leveling for the Xenons

Since MY00 does not come with the auto-leveling feature, I bought the manuel leveling and I guess the guy said it is controlled by a switch from inside.

Has anyone seen this work?
also, thanks Drew. I'm alot more confident now since I thought I was crazy for spending $1280 for them.
Old 02-15-2001, 01:12 PM

sorry for the typo, I meant manual leveling.
Old 02-15-2001, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agree with the brights, and if you want your fogs as true fogs...

Truth is that "fogs" are just becomming defacto driving lights. Nearly every BMW, Audi, Lexus, Benz etc that I see here in "image conscious" LA has their fogs on at night no matter what. The beam of the fogs on A4s can actually be adjusted. It moves on a single diagonal axis. I adjusted mine so they are just slightly higher with a wider sweep for use as driving lights. The extra light to the side really helps judge the shoulder (or complete lack thereof) on the hard core canyon runs I like to do late at night.

I'm waiting on the Sylvania Cool Blue GB bulbs for the fogs and brights. They are the same wattage as stock and I don't expect themn to be any brighter, just aesthetically closer to my OEM xenons. You could theoretically do a xenonshop conversion for the fogs, but I think that would be overkill, and oncoming drivers would not appreciate it much. The brights need to be able to be flashed quickly. A xenon conversion would not benefit you here, they would just be coming on when you flashed, and would cause needless stop-start cycles on the capsule. The Bi-xenons on the very top models have a different kind of igniter I believe that allows it to be used as a bright element (in a true bi-xenon setup that is. Most "bi-xenons" just have a single capsule that is shaded or partially screened for "low beam" light. The screen them moves out of the way for brights). HTH.
Old 02-15-2001, 01:45 PM

Default Re: Agree with the brights, and if you want your fogs as true fogs...

What kind of light emits from the Sylvania Cool Blue bulbs?

Where did you get them from and how much?
Old 02-15-2001, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't have the bulbs yet...

but they are supposed to be a truer white than stock. They are NOT supposed to be faux-xenons, but even a slight reduction in the yellow of the stocks will be enough for me. I was part of a group buy on them a couple weeks ago. There may be another one soon. Otherwise you can find them from a lot of the other parts and tuner places. Check out the Sylvania website:<ul><li><a href="http://www.sylvania.com/prodinfo/auto/cool/welcome.htm">http://www.sylvania.com/prodinfo/auto/cool/welcome.htm</a></li></ul>
Old 02-15-2001, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default True "fogs" are amber, white lamps are considered "driving lights".

The amber is used so as to illuminate the road without blinding "white" light reflecting back at you off of the fog.
Old 02-15-2001, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Where did you buy them and how much? The whole assembly or just lights?
Old 02-15-2001, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Where did you buy them and how much? The whole assembly or just lights?

I got them through PGperformance for $1280.
I got the whole assembly.<ul><li><a href="http://www.pgperformance.com/main.htm">http://www.pgperformance.com/main.htm</a</li></ul>