A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Has anyone else with the Authority chip had an issue with the knock sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-1999, 05:58 AM
Chris

Default Has anyone else with the Authority chip had an issue with the knock sensor?

I have had the chip in for 3 weeks and we think it may be attributed to poor fuel in Minnesota. Autothority told me that this is the first time they have heard of this with their chip. I am pleased with the performance of the chip but the knock sensor is irritating. Anyone with the same issue with an Authority or a different manufacturer when used in Minnesota?
Old 06-16-1999, 06:16 AM
JonathanD

Default Re: Has anyone else with the Authority chip had an issue with the knock sensor?

Do you still have a stock ECU? If so, I would put it back in and see if the problem persists. If so, obviously take it to your dealer. If not, you'll know that it's related to the chip or at least the extra power. I've heard many people point to bad gas for pinging and other problems, so there is a good chance that it is the problem.<p>JD
Old 06-16-1999, 06:35 AM
Jim Sr

Default Re: Has anyone else with the Authority chip had an issue with the knock sensor?

We live in MD. I have used AutoThority in my '99 Passat for five months and about 6K miles now, and have never had ANY problems, knock or otherwise, with the chip. I have been able to use Sunoco 94 exclusively, though.
Old 06-16-1999, 06:42 AM
ErikR

Default What exactly do you mean about the knock sensor?...

The factory knock sensor is there to save the motor. If you are getting a pulsing-stuttering throttle/acceleration then the gas is too low octane or the chip is too advanced, or both. This is NOT a problem with the knock sensor!<p>Try other brands of gas, 91 oct actually varies from additive package. There are probably only a couple actuarl ful distribution companies, ask the wholesalers which brand is actually different.
Old 06-16-1999, 06:56 AM
GlennB

AutoThority for 3K mi, no problems so far. nt.
Old 06-16-1999, 10:02 AM
Eric S.

Default No problem 500 miles on my autothority..

Have run a couple of different tanks of gas.<p>Mobil<p>and Getty<p>No problems.<p>eric
Old 06-16-1999, 05:14 PM
Chris

Default Re: What exactly do you mean about the knock sensor?...

I should elaborate. It is a minor hesitation under full throttle but only if I accelerate from a low RPM up. If I accelerate from say 0-60 I don't feel it. I have been using 92 and 93 octane fuel.
Old 06-17-1999, 08:32 AM
ErikR

Default It's the combination of the chip and your specific motor...

The dual knock sensor is protecting you. If it was loose, or hypersensitive, it would happen all of the time or primarily on rough roads. Your engine must have slightly higher compression. Get them to remap the chip for you.