A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

has anyone experienced a horrible grinding noise when turning steering wheel to far left or right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just lube around the bushes in the steering/suspension...mines started 2day and.....

I had all control arms replaced 2 months ago!!!...all it is the lubrication/grease in the componants...i remember b4 replacing the arms..i had my mechanic spraying some silicone lube into the rubber bushes/seal etc...and it went away..i found it happens more in warm weather which dries them out...i wouldn't think it's a major problem.

will get my mechanic to spray some lube in there when i get the time.
Old 04-08-2002, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default read the manual. it states to not turn the wheel at full turn, since it runs the power steering pump

too hard. it's the pump making that noise.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

no
Old 04-08-2002, 12:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

it is coming from under the hood
Old 04-08-2002, 12:31 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Any one of the answers below could be correct.

You've got answers ranging from "thousands of dollars worth of repairs" to "$0 because it's perfectly normal...you're just doing something you shouldn't be doing". The reason you're seeing so many varied answers is because your description of the problem is not specific enough. You'll get a much more uniform response from the experts (who said that?) on this board, if you can be more specific about the sound and what conditions exist when you hear the sound (as well as what conditions are like when you no longer hear the sound).
Old 04-08-2002, 12:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default so I will go into more detail

I noticed the noise when it has been about 20 degrees F to about 70 degrees I have only noticed it when backing out of my drive way and turning to the steering wheel to the right. I have to turn the wheel pretty far because the approach to the drive way is real steep and my car is lowered and has been so for about 6 months this is to avoid scraping so real low speed situations. The sound comes during the transition or as the wheel is being turned it is not continuous and it only occurs when the wheel is close to fully turned and then subsides when at full lock. I'm thinking maybe a lubrication of the bushings might solve the problem. The noise has defintely worsened since the first time I noticed it which was about 2 months ago. I don't notice anything when going over bumbs or at right turns of higher speeds.

Thanx for all the input

-Abhishek-
Old 04-08-2002, 01:10 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default First I would suggest checking the power steering fluid level.

Typically, when it runs low, you'll hear sounds when you are turning the wheel, but not when the wheel is held at a given angle during a turn. That seems to be what you're describing. Also poke around the power steering pump and look for leaks if the fluid level is low.

If you eliminate the low fluid condition, my next guess is the bushings in the suspension (control arms). Some people have had luck spraying the bushings with synthetic lubricants, rather than replacing the control arms. Whether or not this will work is questionable, but it's worth a try. If anything, you might be able to lessen the noise, and at least confirm that the bushings are the source of your noise.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:45 PM

Default agree with RKA,,,but i've just started getting the sound again..and lubing solved it b4.

i can't really put my symptoms down to poor control arms...because i just replaced all 8 off mine 2 month's ago...!!! either way have a go..can't really do any harm!! hope it helps.