A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Has anyone gone through Autobytel?...(more)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-1999, 08:24 AM
Christian

Default Has anyone gone through Autobytel?...(more)

I did the online Autobytel application and it seems Beiner Audi on Long Island is the Autobytel Representative. Tom(x108), who is the salesman who deals with Autobytel at Beiner called me 2 days later and wants to talk prices and options. Has anyone done this to purchase their A4 and did you get the 'best' deal? I bought my Jeep Wrangler through Autobytel, and it was the best deal I could find back in 1996. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-04-1999, 09:44 AM
Paul B

Default Re: Has anyone gone through Autobytel?...(more)

I tried Autobytel since I had bought my previous car through them. The dealer they referred me to refused to order the car I wanted. I then went to carpoint.msn.com. They referred me to another dealer that was much more responsive and I ended up buying. Another possibility is AAA if you are a member.<p>I complained to autobytel about the dealer refusing to order but got no answer.
Old 01-04-1999, 10:10 AM
Dmak

That's who I bought my car from.. I used Autobytel and they gave me Biener and Tom was my salesman.. He was very nice and profesional, definitely recommend going to him..<p>I don't know if I get the "best Deal", but I got a good deal for 4.5% over invoice.. I bought the car from him also, because they were the only one's who were taking order on the '99 when the prices weren't out yet... Good Luck!<p>Dmak 1.8TQMS
Old 01-04-1999, 10:26 AM
John S

I did a lot of reading here and elsewhere and then decided what price I *wanted* to pay for a factory ordered 1.8T (actually, it'll be a '99.5). I then called a few dealers in the area and told each exactly how I wanted the car equipped and that if they'd agree to my price (so many $$ over factory invoice), I was ready to place my order immediately. To my delight, one of the dealers agreed, and then another one did when I told them that the first (unnamed) dealer was ready to accept my offer.<p>Interestingly, I had already paid CarBargains to solicit quotes for me. When I received the CarBargains writeup, I found that their best quote had a 50% higher markup (relative to invoice) than I'd been able to get on my own! (CarBargains will refund the fee once the car is delivered.)<p>The lesson is that an educated buyer with some conviction can have some leverage in this game. Of course, I admit that it helps to live in an area with about half a dozen dealers within an hour's drive.
Old 01-04-1999, 10:54 AM
Christian

Default 4.5% above invoice sounds like a great deal on A4 1.8TQTS.From what I've read on the forum, 5% seemed to be good. I'd rather buy from Beiner because they are the closest and they will give out a loaner if you buy from them.

f
Old 01-04-1999, 11:13 AM
DavidG

Default Used Autobytel, paid 3.4% over invoice

I'm in White Plains, NY, and Autobytel pointed me to Danbury Audi in Danbury, CT. For a '99 1.8TQ, moonroof, sport package, all-weather package (MSRP $28320), I paid $26000 even, or about $850 over invoice. I was so thrilled at the price that I did not exert much pressure to go even lower. I got the impression, however, that they would have been willing.<p>By the way, the whole deal was extremely low pressure, with no attempt to sell me any "extras" that I didn't need.
Old 01-04-1999, 12:32 PM
Tyrone

Default What a waste of time!!!!!

I tried Autobytel in the SF Bay Area and the price they quoted me for a '99 QMS was about the same as the initial quote you'd get from the greeter at the dealership. Add 4 or 5% to the dealer invoice and that's what you should pay.<br>Forget the buying services.....they're for people who can't negotiate on their own. Inform yourself and cut your own deal.<br>
Old 01-04-1999, 01:12 PM
Josh

Bought 1/98 through them; saved ~$300 on 2.8qms
Old 01-04-1999, 02:46 PM
Bob

Default Rebuttal from a person who can...

FYI, the Audi dealership near me would not sell an A4 for less than MSRP... PERIOD. My options were: Drive to the various alternate dealerships (all of which were a pain in the *** distance away) or try one of the online services. Autobytel cut right to the chase and offered $1,500 over dealer invoice. We negotiated for less on a factory order in about 15 minutes on the phone.<p>The fact is you would be hard pressed to negotiate a deal of 4% to 5% in the L.A. area, particularly on a factory order (unless you have a family member or friend in the business). Demand is high and stocks are low. Dealerships are few and far between.<p>My time is valuable. I doubt if I could have negotiated a price for much more than $200 better than what I got. When you factor in the time element ($200 is about what I earn in 2 hrs.); i.e., the time I saved driving from one dealership to the next and haggling with various salespeople, I think the online service was an efficient bargain.<p>Perhaps you're not as informed as you think you are?<br>
Old 01-04-1999, 04:10 PM
RAY S

Default priceline.com is now doing cars for NY area. You name the price.......

maybe you can work the two services against one another ( use two different names ??)

Quick Reply: Has anyone gone through Autobytel?...(more)