A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

has anyone here on their FIRST try ever, actually drove a stick decently well?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone here on their FIRST try ever, actually drove a stick decently well?

Yea yea I've never driven a stick before, but I know all the logistics and how to do it at least in my head. I've read up on all these websites explaining how to drive it and have acted it out etc (haha) but have actually never had firsthand experience. I feel like I would be able to drive it half decent on my first try, I was just wondering if anyone here on their first try surprised themselves or drove it right off the bat pretty well?
Old 03-19-2004, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default on my first try i got to 3rd real smoth and was killing it but after that t was downhill for a bit

till i learned
Old 03-19-2004, 03:03 PM

Default I drove my buddy's corrado SLC pretty damn well the first time...

until it was time to turn at a 90 degree street and we had some fun. I didn't yo-yo the car that much at all to tell you the truth.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The key is to find the engagement point

when learning on my a4, since the clutch on it is setup to engage very late, at first I would over-rev the car and burn the clutch. The trick is not add gas and guess where the clutch starts engaging, but slowly disengaging it in first gear without adding gas. When you start to feel the RPM's are about to drop a little bit start adding gas and releasing the rest of the clutch. This works even on hills, if you hold the clutch right at the engagement point while being stopped at a hill, the car will not stall and just stay in its place.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:10 PM

Default For me, it was all about the feel of the clutch pedal...

so no matter how much I *knew* about driving a manual, it still took practice to get it down.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Banned

Default Yes

But I learned on my Grandfather's old Ford tractor when I was about 9 or 10 and old farm trucks after that.

Man I'm embarassed for you, you really need to learn. It's the only way to truly appreciate the car.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Sort of, transferring your knowledge of how it works to actually driving isn't quite that simple

but you'll get the hang of it.

I stole my brothers cars (both 5 spds) when I was 15/16, and believe me, when you've stolen someones car you learn how to drive it the right way very quickly, especially if they sleep in the room right next to you.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:23 PM

Why are you embarassed for me, I drove stick pretty damn well the first time - 8 years ago
Old 03-19-2004, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I didnt stall the first time, but it takes time to get the release point right.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Years ago a friend showed me a learning trick

To really get the hang of it you need to know how to feather the clutch. I knew how to do this with a motorcycle but not a car when I got my first 5 speed. We drove to a street on a slight incline and parked next to a curb. Rest the rear right tire against the curb and just practice pulling away from the curb and slowly resting the car back against the curb. This will teach you the proper feathering technique. After that getting from one gear to the next is not nearly as daunting. Practice until you feel comfortable.

Quick Reply: has anyone here on their FIRST try ever, actually drove a stick decently well?