A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Has anyone here waxed their wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 02:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone here waxed their wheels?

I spent 5 hours yesterday waxing my '01 1.8T (silver) for the first time ever. Washing... removing bugs & tar... removing scuff marks... then a coat of Meguires Gold Class. I was a bit surprised at the difference. A lot brighter and more depth in the silver paint. Way more reflections.

Some guys here have waxed their wheels so that brake dust washes just washes off. Is this worth it? Does the wax hold up to any heat generated down there?
Old 05-27-2002, 04:00 AM

Default Yep, i have

I used wheelwax on my brand spanking new alloys a couple of months ago, never use anything but water to clean them, and they always come up a treat, i recommend it wholeheartedly!!!!<ul><li><a href="http://www.wheelwax.com">Wheelwax</a></li></ul>
Old 05-27-2002, 04:01 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Yep, I do it all the time..

Never had a problem with the heat.. If your wheels are getting too hot, you might have a sticking brake.. The hub area will only get mildly hot to the touch.
Old 05-27-2002, 04:02 AM

Default It would seem that my new polished rims(RXII) are less susceptible to brake dust compared to

my previous painted rims !!....waxing did help a weeee tad on the painted rims tho
Old 05-27-2002, 04:18 AM
Elder Member

Default Brake dust is related to the pads, not the wheels...

You should try mintex pads when you get tired of cleaning those tiny spokes (I know I hated it )

regs,
Liam
Old 05-27-2002, 04:22 AM

Default thats pretty obvious.....I`m just sayin The brake dust isn`t accumalating as much on the polished

rims !!
Old 05-27-2002, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ...altho it isn't necessary to buy a "dedicated" wax like that.

I got a jar of Wheelwax last year and compared it to using Blitz wax on my wheels. I didn't see any difference between them. So I don't see the point of spending $12+ on a separate wax for wheels. Any wax will do.

Btw, the maker of wheelwax maintains that its "antistatic" properties repel brake dust better than regular wax, but I didn't see this difference either in my comparison of the two. Wheelwax works fine for what it's intended to do. Just not any better than a regular car wax, IMO.
Old 05-27-2002, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default the main thing is to wash your wheels often...

Whether I wax my wheels or not, I can wash the brake dust away easily if I don't let it sit on the rims for weeks or months. I wash my rims about once a week.
Old 05-27-2002, 05:55 AM

sweet classic sig. !!
Old 05-27-2002, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Most wheels are painted, so yes, wax is good for them, and constantly clean them of brake dust....

left on for prolonged periods is bad for the wheels.

Also avoid the touchless wheel cleaners, they achieve their goals with acidic and harsh chemicals. I clean my wheels off usually after every drive, and whenever i fill up gas, etc...its a zen sort of thing.

One thing kinda cool, a while ago i pulled into a gas stop somewhere on a trip and spent my usually 10 minutes cleaning all wheels. A nice lady who ran the gas place was taking a smoke break...and after watching me, she said "Honey, next time you come here ill give you a free car wash." Thought that a nice moment.

BTW i keep Meguiars quik detail in the trunk (along with a full car cleaning range of products and cotton and papers towels). The Quik detail is really nice on the dust, and since its a quasi-wax, reduces friction as you clean off the dust, preserving the painted finish.

Quick Reply: Has anyone here waxed their wheels?