A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Heat related electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heat related electrical issues

Having owned my A4 for only 4 months I think I'm beginning to see a pattern.
When I initially got the car, there was a single line missing in my centre LED instrument display. Now I've been seeing more lines missing, my turn signal not flashing all of the time and the check engine light comes and goes. These situations seem to occur more frequecntly when the outside temperatures are high. When the car has sat over night and the temps are cooler, my turn signal functions normally, my centre LED display is almost back to day-one resolution (only missing one line) and the check engine light will be displayed less.
These issues may have nothing in common but I did a search and did find one chap from the UK who encountered near similar issues but the Forum response was less than luke warm.
Is there a correlation to high outside temps and intermittent degradation of certain electrical/electronic functions?
Thanks,
John
Old 08-13-2008, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

yes for the center display
Old 08-13-2008, 06:09 AM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes, with the instrument cluster that will happen. The signal issue... I'd look into

checking the hazard switch. That's also the relay, so that's the best place to start.

As far as the IC issue goes, replacement is the only way to fix it for now. There have been people on here talking about repairs of it; I have not heard of a successful repair as of yet.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think the CEL is a separate issue and should prob be looked at. The display is def heat related..

a friend of mine that is kinda OCD puts a T-shirt in front of it, which actually seems to help a bit. Mine is pretty much gone. I can make out what it says, but prob not for much longer.

The turn signal thing, like Nate said, is prob the Hazard Relay Switch. Its a whole unit that is attached to the Hazard triangle that controls the blinking and blink timing etc. They are pretty cheap, swap that and see if it helps.

But IMO, i think all your issues are separate issues.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Frankford, Ontario, Canada. 08 R8TT, 08 A5, 90 TT 300ZX, Ducati TT2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've had the CEL cleared twice in the last 4 months.

IIRC the code had something to do with the O2. Which I found strange because I'm used to seeing a dramatic change in mileage in previous cars being that the ECU would but up the mixture to run a bit richer. I've had consistant great mileage now and throughout those 2 ECU resets.
But I guess I'll have to get it reset again.

As far as the signal relay goes, I take it it's not your typical turn signal relay but rather something more complex. Is this a specific Audi part and not an over the counter auto parts place fix?

And as far as the LED instrument cluster display, there's no real remedy for preventing these temporary degradations? At present it's normally 90% intact. My local Audi mmechanic eluded to some company in Toronto that has some sort of circuit board fix for these display issues that seem to plague almost everyone. I guess I'll have to research a little more into this unless this route has already been tried.