A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

heated mirrors - a FAQ?? (mine are broKe)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-1998, 04:01 PM
randall

Default heated mirrors - a FAQ?? (mine are broKe)

I am thinking this may be an item for an FAQ. <br>I am also thinking I may try my hand. Why?<br>MY HEATED MIRRORS DON'T work.<br>i have a 1996 and they do not get warm to touch with the rear defogger on.<br>I have the service manuals, and they are controlled by rear defogger on 1996 model.<br>I am going to get a price on the mirrors.<br>(since i am out of warrantee, this is a DIY)<br>for those of u who have done it, do you just pry them out??<p><br>thankx<p><br>1996 a4 2.8 qms
Old 11-03-1998, 05:27 PM
Bob Petruska

Default Sort of glad to hear from you.

I hope we can get you functional again here.<p>But first it is very interesting that both your mirrors died and they are controlled by the rear defroster switch. So many posts lately of the mirrors "cooking themselves to death syndrone" that I rewired my mirrors to operate with the rear defroster switch to prolong their life. Now maybe this won't happen?<p>What bothers me is that both your mirrors are dead! First did you check your use in the fuse panel. Also according to my wiring diagram the mirror heaters are directly connected to the rear defroster switch and the schematic shows another seperate fuse inside the switch in series with the mirror wiring terminal (this could be your problem). Does your rear defroster get hot?<p>The mirrors pry out very easily from the bottom/sides with a thin stick or plastic. Disconnect the 2 mirror wires to the terminals, turn on the ignition, turn on the rear defroster and measure to see if there is 12 volts at the wires/terminals. If so, measure the resistance of the mirrors.... should be less than 12 ohms.<p>Greater than this....cooked mirrors!<p>I think you have fuse problems, I hope so.