A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Heavy Rain/Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy Rain/Brakes

Has anyone lost brake feel during heavy rains? If so has your service dept. had any remedies?
Old 05-04-2001, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Dreaded "Wet braking" issue. Well know problem amongst us here.

As far as I know, there haven't been any real solutions save except for a brake upgrade.
Old 05-04-2001, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yea, common problem....

There is a TSB on it that offers a fix that consists of a new splash shield.

Or, just get cool cross drilled rotors (like me!), and you won't have any problems.
Old 05-04-2001, 03:14 PM

Default yeah, like massive fade/lack of bite. There are a few tricks...

Basically, brake fade is caused by air becoming superheated and forming a gas layer between the pads and the rotors. When wet this becomes super heated STEAM and this creates MUCH more resistance between the rotor and caliper. For proof of this, try this experiment: after driving your car around for a little bit (with some braking) park the car and try to spit on the side of the rotor (yes, I'm serious) your spit will actually bounce right off the rotor. This same force pushes the pad away when things are wet. Pretty interesting to see!

One thing that I found to help a little was cutting small slots into the surface of the rotor like so: [////] ([ and ] being the edges of the pad)

I will be putting on xdrille and slotted brembo rotors next month. That should help quite a bit I would imagine. I will report further after I test the setup in the rain.
Old 05-04-2001, 04:08 PM

Isn't there a 'possible' recall regarding this issue I read somewhere in here recently?
Old 05-04-2001, 04:14 PM

Default File a report with NHTSA, they can make Audi fix the problem. (m)

They already are looking at reduced wet braking. The more people who file a report the better. I have experienced the wet braking every time it rains, and it is quite scary.<ul><li><a href="http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ivoq/default.htm">http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ivoq/default.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 05-04-2001, 04:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Had 45K service today, told service dept. about it. (more)

They claimed never to have heard about the problem from other owners, but promised to look into it (Bernardsville Audi, NJ). When I returned later in the day, they had replaced:

-front pads
-front rotors
-rear pads

But nothing specifically related to the wet braking issue was found. Plus, they said the parts replaced looked like they were due, anyway. So the problem wasn't really solved. I'm eager to see what happens next time it rains.
Old 05-04-2001, 04:55 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Common, but at least Audi seems to be making an attempt.

Recently, they have started releasing an air deflector kit that mounts under the front bumper directly in front of the tire. This alters the airflow around the wheel, hopefully preventing water mist from being sprayed directly onto the rotors. These kits are hard to come by (Audi doesn't seem to be making them available to just anybody)...it seems Audi is "trying" them out to see if they adequately address the problem, before the implement this on a large scale (I'm guessing here).

Do a search here for wet braking, and you'll turn up a bunch of posts. Replacing pads or rotors has not proved to be helpful.

I'm sure something will happen shortly...in the time being, drive carefully.
Old 05-04-2001, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Common, but at least Audi seems to be making an attempt.

Jobs in Bellingham order a set for me on last Monday. I got the part number (8D0698998A)from a post found here. The parts manager said it did not show the part number in his dB but he was able to find it in AoA's. I understand this is NOT a solution but apparently it does help some.
Old 05-04-2001, 06:52 PM

Holy ****! I wanna go try that now!

Quick Reply: Heavy Rain/Brakes