A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Heel & toe questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heel & toe questions...

can you guys actually do it?

my feet are not big, i am 5'9" with size 9
but i can't turn my foot to do heel and toe because
1) not enough speace
2) gas padel is lower than brake by like an inch

how do you guys do it? please share.

tia
Old 04-02-2001, 12:17 PM
Rest In Peace

Default A4 pedals are perfect for a modified heel toe (more like a ball and side)

Roll your foot to the right to blip the throttle. You have to have your foot only partway on the brake pedal, on an angle.

Re: the lower gas pedal - that's perfect, cause it means when you're hard on the brakes (as you should be on the track) the brake isn't so far behind the gas pedal, making it difficult to get at.
Old 04-02-2001, 12:22 PM

as in heel on brake and toes on gas???
Old 04-02-2001, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Do it with my size 10's: use the sides of my foot with foot at around a 30 degree angle
Old 04-02-2001, 12:23 PM

holy cow.. have to re learn everything :-/
Old 04-02-2001, 12:26 PM

Default Agreed. Traditional heel-toe is tough unless you're properly pigeon-toed anyway. Modified...

(as described by Mark) is easier for those of us more "duck footed." Hey, if it was good enough for Senna, it's good enough for me!
Old 04-02-2001, 12:36 PM

Default answers....

Some people have to comprimise when trying heel and toe due to differences in seating position, foot size, comfort, space dimensions, etc.

Many times use the reference ball and toe, if you have a smaller foot, angle slightly so that you are able to make contact with both pedals at the same time.

It is extremely helpful to practice on a empty road/hill with a slight grade. The motion to blip the throttle for a down shift is more of a rolling side motion at the ankle while the ball of the foot is pressing the right portion of the brake pedal. This permits keeping the brake pressure steady with the muscles of the leg while using the (isolated) ankle muscles to control only the throttle motion. The throttle is touched by the outside edge of the shoe well above the heal of my foot. This makes for smooth steady braking by leaving the leg muscles in uninterrupted control of the brake. Conversely it also permits easy ankle control of the throttle against the force applied to the brake pedal by the ball of the foot.

This use of the throttle with the outside edge of the shoe permits extremely smooth transition from brake to throttle in a high angle corner where braking is very important to turn the car and the timing of the throttle is critical to retain control. You pile into the corner under braking and lift the ball of your foot up off the brake pedal while rolling into the throttle with the outside edge of the foot. This motion, its degree and timing, can be more important that steering input at that moment.

On the other hand, with a high powered car in a fast, high G corner, any false move with any part of your body would upset the chassis. Not only do you hold your breath, but you will find that you run off the apex with your ankle twisted sideways and the throttle carefully applied with the outside edge of your foot until either you get clear of the corner or have the pedal mashed to the floor. This situation occurs for fear of losing the car if you attempted to square your foot on the gas.
Old 04-02-2001, 12:47 PM

Default The whole reference to "heel and toe" only came about...

from an early Ferrari (don't remember the model) that had the throttle in the middle, with the brake on the right and a non-synchro box. So don't worry about which part of your feet you use.