A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

hello everyone.....newbie question. can i upgrade springs without new shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello everyone.....newbie question. can i upgrade springs without new shocks?

i was thin of getting a set of intrax or eibach springs, but is it really needed that i buy shocks also. what are the advantages and disadvantages of getting shocks and springs?
Old 03-27-2001, 06:16 PM

HAHA.. nice name.. you'll probably have to replace your shocks more often.... but, yeah you can
Old 03-27-2001, 06:24 PM

So we can take it you like getting your salad tossed AudiGirl315? :P
Old 03-27-2001, 06:26 PM

hehe thanks
Old 03-27-2001, 06:29 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default As AudiGirl says, you can, but it's not a good idea.

Do a search, this gets asked often.

If you have non-sport shocks, replace the shocks with the springs. If you have the sport shocks, you will be able to get by for about 1 year, and the new springs will wear out the shocks. Aftermarket shocks (Bilstein or Koni are the one's most people go with) can handle the higher spring rate of the aftermarket lowering springs.

So, the advantage of doing both is that you only have to pay for installation once. The aftermarket shocks will lock the car down to the road, and eliminate the floating sensation you get with the factory suspension when driving at high speeds. Control!

The disadvantage is it costs more now. It doesn't cost more (in labor) to replace the shocks while you're doing springs, just the price of the shocks themselves. Another disadvantage of going with aftermarket shocks is that they will be a bit harsher than factory shocks. You'll feel broken pavement more than you used to.
Old 03-27-2001, 06:40 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Here we go...was that necessary?

Very quickly...there are very few women here, and random thoughtless posts like this can be offensive many women. I'm not singling you out, there have been other posters making similar types of comments. Please show a little respect when posting.
Old 03-27-2001, 06:47 PM

obviously she knew what it was and was playful about it. I'm pretty sure she's not that insecure
Old 03-27-2001, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I say screw replacing the shocks, unless you have the non-sport shocks.

I lowered my car with the Audi Eibach accessory springs, and my car feels just fine with the OEM sport shocks in place. Don't listen to the guys on this forum too much; most have A LOT of money to spend on their car, so an extra $600 for shocks is no big deal to them.
Old 03-27-2001, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

do you autox your car with the suspension setup? i'm currently trying to figure out my options
Old 03-27-2001, 07:02 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Christian, how many miles did you put on your sport shocks prior to the Euro's

and how many miles with the sport shocks and the Eurosports?

I have to say, I disagree with you. The shocks will run about an additional $450, and what's more expensive...wearing out the sport shocks in 15K miles and paying something to install the shocks in a year, or putting them in now, and leaving them there for the next 75K miles?

The question really becomes...will the sport shocks wear out with a higher rate spring. A search in the archives would answer that.

Quick Reply: hello everyone.....newbie question. can i upgrade springs without new shocks?