A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

HELP!!! Borla nightmare....Anyone have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Borla nightmare....Anyone have this problem?

Ok, I just had my Borla installed at Munks motors in MI....and it sounds HORRIBLE. My performance is also WORSE than stock! Acceleration just sucks, and the muffler makes this awful rasping noise under throttle. The installer said that it must be a defective Borla system, as he has never heard anything this bad before. Munks motors, (the installer) knows their stuff, as they have installed many Nuespeeds, Borlas, etc on Audis/VW's before. They only specialize in VAG cars, so I trust they did a good job. However, they charged me $401.00 for the install, but I'll get to that later. Anyway, I know people on Audiworld have had this happen before to them with the Borla, but I thought Borla fixed these noise issues? Anyone have any ideas? FYI, I ordered the system from AWE, and got the inner tips removed for the "clean" look. But before I ordered from AWE, they promised that the inner tip removal would not change the exhaust note at all. So what gives? I must have a defective unit, right? I am so pissed, b/c I spent $400 on an install that took 4+ hours, and now I'm driving my A4 that sounds like a boat, and accelerates like a Yugo. The install was only supposed to cost $150, however, the bolts snapped when the technitian tried to take off the stock exhaust system....so he spend 2.5 hrs taking off the cat to get access to the bolts so he could tap them out. I have the worst luck. The install almost cost as much as the damn exhaust. But anyways, thats not Munk's fault, right? Or do you think I got ripped?

To top this all off, the mechanic noticed a serious leak coming from the rear diff. And my A4 only has 16k on it. I know it will be covered under warranty, but I'm still dissapointed.

What should I do with this POS Borla? Will they ship me a new one? Pay for the re-installation? At this point, I'm thinking about just putting the stock system back on. Will AWE handle this, or should I just contact Borla? If anyone has had similar problems or even heard of someone in a situation like I'm in now, please give me some insight. ok...I have to go calm down now.
Old 05-11-2001, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Are you sure that your cat wasn't damaged during the install?
Old 05-11-2001, 03:40 PM

Default i presume it's downpipe back? i paid $65 for my cat back..

and that's including shortening and re-welding...

why's your Borla so hard to install?

and i've a guy who reinstalled my whole exhaust system.. header back -> muffler in 15 mins...

what gives?
Old 05-11-2001, 03:40 PM

Default Pretty sure....the sound is coming directly from the muffler.

And when I tip in the throttle, the loud rasping sound is coming from the rear of the car. I was reffered to this shop by a few guys on AW who also live in MI...I hope that if they DID do anything they would have told me.

Even at idle, the mufler sounds f'up. Not a deep tone I've heard...more of a raspy/constricted sound
Old 05-11-2001, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just got my borla/neuspeed...

installed, it costed me about $250, bolts snapped just like yours
Old 05-11-2001, 03:44 PM

Default The system is cat back. Downpipe included. I guess it took so long....

b/c they snapped the bolts that hold the stock d.p. to the cat. So, to access the bolts, they had to loosen the cat, remove the O2 sensor, etc....said it took an extra 2.5 hours.

I was livid, but what can I do? I went to this shop b/c I thought they would do a quality job, even it it was a little more expensive. I never guessed $400 though. My mod budget is gone now!
Old 05-11-2001, 03:45 PM

they snapped a bolt and they still charge you the time to fix what they are not suppose to break???
Old 05-11-2001, 03:46 PM

Default Re: I just got my borla/neuspeed...

damn. Seriously, I'm going to call the installer tomorrow and bitch. Maybe I can get some of my $$ back, but I doubt it.

BTW, they charge $80/hr.

How did your exhaust sound? Did you have the inner tips removed?
Old 05-11-2001, 03:46 PM

try reving it high to see if you can blow everything that's rasping out?
Old 05-11-2001, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mine sounds..

pretty good, i didn't see much performance ipmrovement though. I didn't get the inner tips removed, but i am thinking about doing it.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Borla nightmare....Anyone have this problem?