A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

HELP!!! Borla nightmare....Anyone have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The first time I had my Borla installed they snapped a bolt, but was only $75 or so for the install

It was a while ago. I forget now exactly how much it was, but I don't remember that it was a while lot. Definitely not $400!

How is the fitment of your system? Plenty of clearance around the pipes and clamps all the way back (especially under the frame crossmembers) and not too much play? If you can't get under the car, try using a broom handle to move the pipe from side to side and up and down in several spots to make sure there is no contact. Use a brick or something as a fulcrum to move it up and down. Also make sure there is no contact where the tips come through the rear valence.

Paul
Old 05-11-2001, 04:17 PM

Default Yea, I think thats what I'll have to do....sucks that I have to wait until Monday though.

I am embarrased to drive this thing around town.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know if its worse than mine but

I have the sane hissing sound as i call it. It changes with the outside temoerature and engine temperature. I don't know if its normal but it has been noted by many.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default About the sound of Borlas...

The Borlas do rasp very loudly under WOT. I have the Neuspeed/Borla kit, and when I floor it and boost pressure builds up, it rasps super loud. Whenever I'm next to a wall or in a parking garage I often WOT it to see what it sounds like, and it often surprises me how loud it is during WOT.

The rasping is basically dependant on how much boost I'm creating. When driving along normally, like on the freeway or through town, it doesn't rasp at all. But keep in mind that the Borla exhaust does rasp very loudly during WOT.
-joe
Old 05-11-2001, 04:34 PM

Default About the performance of Borlas...

After getting my Borla installed, I noticed the following:

1) The turbo spins up a little bit sooner, maybe a couple hundred RPM quicker.
2) The power keeps pulling all the way to 6k rpm or so. With the stock exhaust, I noticed the acceleration would start to fade out much above 5k, and not pull as hard.

That's is about it. People often advertise that a new exhaust will add horsepower and such, but I'm skeptical of that. It may add a few, but not more than that on our cars. However, it does make the powerband wider so you have a more useable range of rpm, and that's always good.

Oh, this is with a GIAC chip. Other chips may have different results, but in general should all be similar.
-joe
Old 05-11-2001, 04:35 PM

Default It sounds like a sound blaster right?

alot of the noise has to do with the tips. The Borlas use a Y pipe to make it look like a dual tip exhaust. The "Y" almost acts like a whistle as is coming out making that raspy noise. Try pluging one of the tips and the sound will become mellow. I have the Neuspeed Borla and I have considered making it a single tip just for this reason.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:35 PM

Default I have the same problem

I took it into my dealership, they couldn't fix it. I'm taking it to midas tommorow (where I got it installed for $150) to have them look at it. I'm thinking the problem could be how the muffler splits into two pipes at the end and it could be acting as some sort of whistle. Also I noticed on my muffler that only the left tip has black buildup on the inside and the right one is totally clean, does yours look like that?
Old 05-11-2001, 04:38 PM

Default About the cost of Borlas...

Well, this is gonna differ with everyone, of course, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. (or more, perhaps)

My install cost was about $150. None of the bolts snapped, but they were all seriously seized up, so my installer had to really soak them with lubricant to get them loose. Getting the darn bolts off is what took so long. Once they were off, the whole thing went together very quickly.
-joe
Old 05-11-2001, 04:40 PM

Interesting... but the stock exhaust is also y-split, and doesn't make the noises.
Old 05-11-2001, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think my tips have the same color.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Borla nightmare....Anyone have this problem?