A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help!! Brakes pulsating

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Brakes pulsating

Just replaced front rotors/pads & flushed/bled brake fluid with a pressure bleeder. Also changed all control arms, so removed hubs and pulled ABS sensors (cleaned with brake parts cleaner and reinstalled) Have done brake jobs many times before but this time I forgot to remove the reservoir cap when compressing the calipers!!

I cranked it up after putting it all together and the first thing I noticed is that the ABS module (or whatever that ABS thing is called next to the power steerting reservoir) is making a clicking noise (temporariliy). ABS light is on as well.

Go for the test drive and it's horrible. Brakes are pulsating horribly (pedal is pumping up and down on it's own)when braking from 5mph and on and progressively worse at higher speeds. Rotors are new and true, so this is definitely not the problem. Brake pedal feel is firm and car stops well other than the pulsating.

Disconnected the ABS sensors on a 2nd test drive and there is no difference.

Anybody know what this is about? Did I screw it all up when I forgot to remove the reservoir cap? Please HELP!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anybody care to give some input? Throw me a bone here!!!!!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeee600
Anybody care to give some input? Throw me a bone here!!!!!
I doubt that not removing the reservoir cap caused the problem. Did you vacuum bleed or pressure bleed?

If you pressure bled, that should help not make the problem worse. I have seen vacuum bleed cause aitr lock problems with the ABS pump.

Did you try resetting the ABS using VAG.com?

There is a sequence in VAG.com to exercise the pump when bleeding.

Unplug the ABS module and see if the pulsing goes away, you can check the individual ABS wheel sensors using VAG.com also.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. I used a pressure bleeder. I'll disconnect the ABS module and see where that goes. Do you know where to get VAG.com?
Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeee600
Thanks. I used a pressure bleeder. I'll disconnect the ABS module and see where that goes. Do you know where to get VAG.com?
One of the advertisers here.

Ross-tech

You can also buy a generic version from E-bay that uses the shareware software, however I don't know if the ABS tests work.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

while it does read like an ABS issue, did you measure the runout on the rotors? I recently bought new Timken (highest regarded brand, American made) hubs for my Ford, slapped 'em on and measured. .060. Yikes! Exchanged them and got within the .003 limit. Just sayin.