A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help! CD Changer Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-1999, 07:58 AM
Mike T

Default Help! CD Changer Installation

I have a 99.5 2.8QMS with the Concert radio. I ordered the OEM Panasonic changer from Autotoys (DP-610). The cable connected directly, it fits the slot perfectly, takes and ejects the cartidge, but when I hit the "mode" button on my radio nothing happens. It will only switch between the cassette and radio. Am I missing something or do I have a defective unit?
Old 11-20-1999, 08:44 AM
Wayne H.

Default Do you have the OEM "Audi" changer or do you have the Panasonic...

If you have the Pansonic (i.e., the CX-DP601 or 801) you need an adaptor (that fits between the Audi cabling and the cable on your CD changer. I bought one made by Blitz.

If you have the Audi OEM changer (with the 4 rings) then you do not need this adaptor.

Good luck.
Wayne
99 1.8TQMS APR
Old 11-20-1999, 09:32 AM
ChrisD

Default I have same problem, Mike. Anyone have any ideas? (plus related question)

Mike:
I have the exact same problem you have, and I have no idea what the problem is. I bought the Panasonic 6 Disc changer(DP601), with the proper adapter (Peripheral AUDPAN98)and hooked it up to my 98.5 Concert head unit. I bought the unit from a fellow A4.org member who advertised in the classifieds here. Sometimes the head unit will recognize the CD player and work fine, most of the time it will not. I've yet to find a pattern of how and when it will work. Sometimes, usually in the morning after the car has just started up and I haven't pressed the "mode" button for a while, the CD function will work, but when I press the "mode" button again to listen to tape or radio, I lose the CD changer again. When I hold the "mode" button down while turning on the unit, I get the "NO CDC" error. The CD changer is getting power, it's just that there is obviously some miscommunication between the head unit and the changer. It must be the adapter, but why would it work some times and not others? I've seen quite a few others on this board who have described the exact same problem. Has anyone ever been able to fix this problem? How??

A related question: Has anyone ever had the same problem with a OEM 6 CD changer bought from Clair Parts (with the Audi rings on it)? My understanding is that unit is truly "factory authorized" and there's no doubt as to the unit and adapter's compatability. I'm thinking about chucking my DP601 Panasonic altogether and getting the entire unit from Clair Parts. It seems like a pretty big waste of $$, but I really want to get this problem corrected.

Thanks to all who resppond,
Chris D.
98.5 2.8MS
Old 11-20-1999, 09:46 AM
JamesH

Default Re: I have same problem, Mike. Anyone have any ideas? (plus related question)

I bought the OEM CD Changer from Clair and it worked great for the first month. While driving (and not changing anything) the changer stopped working. Since Clair is an Audi dealership, I was able to take it to a local service department. They told me that the car needs to be programmed ($42.50; because they didn't do the installation) so the head unit can communicate properly with the changer. However, there was also another defect with my unit and they ended up exchanging it for me. I'm not sure if I believe the programming story since most people seem to be fine with the changers they bought from Clair. In fact, Clair Auto has also told me that programming is unnecessary.

I hope this helps,

JamesH
Old 11-20-1999, 10:17 AM
Mike T

Default Panasonic

It's a Panasonic (CX-DP610EUC)ordered off the Audi OEM link at Autotoys.com. It specifically said it was for 98-99+ Audi's with the Concert radio. It came with a interface cable for the Delta radio that doesn't fit the cable in my car. The cable on the CD changer fit with no problem.
Old 11-20-1999, 12:42 PM
DavidG

Default The cable fits, but the internal wiring is wrong without the adaptor. You'll need to get one ...

Another source of adaptors is Crutchfield. I got mine from them for $19.99, I believe. With the adaptor, your Panasonic will work fine (many of us have done this same installation). The only feature that won't work regardless of the adaptor is the random feature. That only works with the Audi OEM changer. However, since the feature only randomizes among songs on a single disc, it's not such a great feature anyway.
Old 11-20-1999, 01:37 PM
Mike T

Default Re: The cable fits, but the internal wiring is wrong without the adaptor. You'll need to get one ...

Thanks. I'll get one from Crutchfield. Seems like Autotoys should have included the right one.
Old 11-20-1999, 05:42 PM
Richard

Default Re: I have same problem, Mike. Anyone have any ideas? (plus related question)

My changer from Clair Parts doesn't have the Audi Rings on it. It just has a small sticker (less than a in.) that says Audi with some rings. Is that what you guys are talking about, or do I need to have a chat with Barry (from Clair)?.

Richard
1.8TQMS
Old 11-20-1999, 06:22 PM
cn

I'm pretty sure we're all taking about the sticker
Old 11-20-1999, 06:22 PM
Mike T

No, it is a Panasonic - has no Audi markings

Quick Reply: Help! CD Changer Installation