A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help with Dash display icon

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Dash display icon

Hello there,

Maybe you can help me out, since yesterday my Dash is showing the following icon.

As you may notice I do have the world famous messed up LED dash failure, which makes things more difficult. I was breaking my head for several minutes to guess what does it mean, but i can't find a thing, looked the manual but nothing related.

Thanks for your support.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

One of your taillight or headlight bulbs are out. That is what the icon is telling you. Check out the link below for more info.

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec57.shtml
Old 02-24-2011, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by moloveshisaudi1254
One of your taillight or headlight bulbs are out. That is what the icon is telling you. Check out the link below for more info.

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec57.shtml
Nope that ain't that. It is not a "Bulb Failure" alert
Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Do you have ESP (traction control)?

Old 02-24-2011, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm guessing Washer fluid low....
Old 02-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

NO even with a messed up display i can still make out the washer fluid low, Havent seen that one and cant find it in my handbook either, does anyone know what the circle with a cross through it is?
The handbook says bulb out, But they are all fine,the beepings doin my head in!
Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Powelly
NO even with a messed up display i can still make out the washer fluid low, Havent seen that one and cant find it in my handbook either, does anyone know what the circle with a cross through it is?
The handbook says bulb out, But they are all fine,the beepings doin my head in!
On my wife's allroad, the circle with the slash through it is related to the speed monitor option, as in, if you exceed whatever speed limit you set it at (35, 42, whatever) then the car will chime at you, I think the circle with the slash through it is to signify that option is turned off
I don't have that on my '98 A4 and don't know if it was offered on the B5 A4 but hope this helps
Old 02-24-2011, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bronco Joe
On my wife's allroad, the circle with the slash through it is related to the speed monitor option, as in, if you exceed whatever speed limit you set it at (35, 42, whatever) then the car will chime at you, I think the circle with the slash through it is to signify that option is turned off
I don't have that on my '98 A4 and don't know if it was offered on the B5 A4 but hope this helps
My speed limiter warning symbol (and others I have seen) has "MPH" written in the center of the circle. It might have changed for the allroad and other models. Check your wife's car again and report back. I am interested to know if and when the change happened.

Originally Posted by Powelly
...The handbook says bulb out, But they are all fine,the beepings doin my head in!
I am pretty sure the symbol indicates bulb failure. My owners manual, the article I linked to, and Powelly's manual verify that conclusion. Even if all the lights are operating fine some other wiring issue could prevent the necessary info from being relayed to the instrument cluster making it indicate bulb failure. Or the cluster could just have an internal fault. More info such as model year, type of Instrument cluster (whether it has an analog clock or LCD clock), country where the car was purchased(the warning symbols do vary by region a bit) and the type of coding on the cluster would help a lot in further diagnosing your problem. At this point I highly recommend getting a VAG.com then pulling and posting codes.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello folks,

I notice today something; it has to be the headlight's bulb icon.

Today morning I didn't turn on any my car lights at all, the weird symbol didn't appear until i arrived to office's sub-parking, where i had to turn headlights on, a couple seconds later, it beeps and appear on display. If i don't turn headlights on, the alert won't appear.

While at dark, I notice the right headlight bulb its a bit dim than the other one, maybe its on his last days and that has to be the warning.
I will replace soon both and then i'll see what happens.

By the way (sorry, a little off topic), I saw an interesting PIAA H3 headlight bulbs over the internet (Xtreme White Plus): http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H3.html

Do you know if this would fit my A4 nicely (1.8T FWD version)?
I went to a retail store and they told me H3 its the right standard size for it, however it would be nice to hear (or read) a 2nd Opinion.

Thank you all for your fine help guys, much appreciated.

Best Regards.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bronco Joe
Nah you can turn on the speed monitor thing by pushing and holding the button on the bottom left of the screen, the stick thing, Mines the 98 B5 Quattro and it has it.

Quick Reply: Help with Dash display icon