A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

HELP....first thought it was chip; now almost sure its the clutch pls read!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-1999, 03:38 PM
99.5Turbod

Default HELP....first thought it was chip; now almost sure its the clutch pls read!!

well, since arriving at college i've been driving like a madman, sorta like that boy racer thing has come back...unfortunately though, i may have launched a couple too many times, but not from high rpm. nevertheless, a couple days ago that wonderful little 1.8turbo just wasnt pulling. sure, it felt incredibly smooth, but there was no power. that typical APR 1.0 bar touch the pedal-wait for the boost-and blast off seemed a thing of the past. at the same time, i noticed that the engine seemed really finicky, and the rpms would drop sharply when i disengaged the clutch; they would almost drop to 500, and then they would sputter back up.
Today, i was attempting to engage the clutch in second gear at 5-10 mph and had to immediately depress the clutch again. then, out of sheer frustration i step on the gas and tried to disengage...i heard what i thought was a screaching (radio was on) and felt not all that much in the way of ooomph...the stock chip creates more than this. Then, the smell...i cant even describe it...oil burning maybe, nasty cuz i knew it was coming from right from my car...
also, i noticed today that the clutch seemed to stay engage for a second or two and held the rpms (at 2000) before they dropped back down...
SO, what do u guys think? anything in terms of advice or info etc. would be great...
Planning on taking it in to dealer asap...but will they have a 99.5 newer ratio-d gear box...but i shouldnt need to worry bout that b/c it only sounds like the clutch, right? right.....? please help!!

haydn
99.5 1.8T QMS
Old 09-08-1999, 04:49 PM
Patrik

Sorry for you! Keep us all posted! I want to know what went wrong!
Old 09-08-1999, 05:18 PM
JDietz

Default Re: HELP....first thought it was chip; now almost sure its the clutch pls read!!

I don't have any tech manuals yet on A4's but if your clutch is engaging then not engageing again or not disengaging, then this sounds like a throw-out bearing. If you froze one of these up it could act like what you describe. I know the VW transverse tranny's had the throwout bearing inside the transmission and was bathed in gear oil inside. Can't say if this is the case with the A4. I will be going to the dealer tomorrow to pick up my '97 A4 1.8TQMS. Perhaps I can get you some more info then, but you'll probably have it in the shop by then.

JDietz
Old 09-08-1999, 05:50 PM
duh!

Default think about it!!!

you yourself say you have been abusing your car regularly, and then have the gall to complain your brand new car isn't working right. spend some more time in class, and less time blowing your clutch.
Old 09-08-1999, 06:57 PM
me

i will...and while i'm doing that why not pull that stick out of ur.....
Old 09-09-1999, 06:47 AM
DaveN

Default The bearing on a transverse VW is in the bell housing...

just the shaft that disengages it is in the tranny. Runs though the center of the cluster gear if I remember correctly. Bathing a throw out in oil would be bad, how would you keep the oil out of the clutch? Anyway, if I read his message right it sounds more like a clutch master cylinder, although the clutch itself might be gone by now.
Old 09-09-1999, 10:02 AM
mac

Definitely sounds like the clutch. Blown seal might allow fluid on face causing stick/slip.
Old 09-09-1999, 10:00 PM
99.5Turbod

k....thanks mac