A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help give me reasons why my wife should get a new Avant 1.8T instead of a Nissan XTerra!!!More...

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-1999, 05:46 PM
Please help!!!

Default Help give me reasons why my wife should get a new Avant 1.8T instead of a Nissan XTerra!!!More...

She is fairly hooked on the idea of getting a sport utility, and we kinda like the new XTerra for practicality and room, as we recently had our first baby. I bought her a 99 Jetta GLS...but it is not big enough...I messed up that purchase I guess. I am a BMW/Audi guy (99 328i)...and strongly believe that the Audi Avant will have enough room for her the baby and the stroller and still seat some other passengers. Can anyone with an Advant confirm this? Anyone have more than one kid with an Advant? How are you guys liking the Avant? Well thanks again for the help...Don't give her flames please. Ps...i drove a friends 00 S4 this weekend....awesome car...and for the same price as my 328i...it is a definite winner. (I will still hold out for the '01 M3 though I think)
Cheers lads
Old 10-04-1999, 05:50 PM
Roy S.

safety, comfort, ride quality, fit&finish, refinement, looks, appeal, how much more is there?
Old 10-04-1999, 06:04 PM
rasin

Default IT IS AN AUDI

german vs. ughh japan? who is the better quality control race?
Old 10-04-1999, 06:21 PM
Goku

Default "who is the better quality control race?" Are you kidding?

Japan is known for very high standards of quality control and reliability. My brothers Camry is 300k+ and still going strong. My moms Corolla is nearing 200k and has never needed any thing besides normal maintenance. I would still buy the Audi however...and I did!
Old 10-04-1999, 06:21 PM
Amro

Default If this will be her car, SHE must drive both and compare...also

Look at actual volume information on both. It's surprising how much the Avant has compared to the smaller SUV's.

Good luck :-)
Amro
Old 10-04-1999, 06:24 PM
counterpoint

Default Re: "who is the better quality control race?" Are you kidding?

The problem with driving a Camry 300,000 miles is who would want to drive a Camry that much.
Old 10-04-1999, 06:45 PM
Norman

Default Re: Get A V7 Volvo

Quicker, safer and more kid room. although a stiffer ride.
Old 10-04-1999, 06:53 PM
BDW

Default The original post was about reliability and build quality ...

not driving dynamics. Japanese cars tend to be quite reliable. That's a point that is hard to argue.

BDW
Old 10-04-1999, 07:03 PM
BDW

Default The backseat of an Avant or A4 sedan is ...

very tight. Once you put a baby seat in the middle, two adults on either side would be VERY UNHAPPY for more than a few minutes. Don't let anyone here tell you that an Avant is a totally suitable substitute for even a small sport ute. It isn't. It's a great vehicle, but people around here tend to think it's all anyone needs for a family hauler, and that's just nonsense.

One thing to remember about the Xterra, though. First model year, YIPES. Look out for that. And, it is supposedly a tough little machine that can go off road since it is built on a truck frame. But because it's built on a truck frame, it will ride like a truck. You'll have to live with that. If I'm not taking the little sport ute off road much or in a very limted way, I'd rather have one built on a car platform so you get a much more comfortable ride . Thus, I have a Honda CR-V EX that I like very much for this purpose.

Good luck.

BDW '99 1.8Tqms
Old 10-04-1999, 08:13 PM
FrancisK

Hey, this relibility rules only apply on Honda and Toyota Only!! Never Nissan or anyother!!

Quick Reply: Help give me reasons why my wife should get a new Avant 1.8T instead of a Nissan XTerra!!!More...