A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

HELP HELP Xenon gurus help a brother in need...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP HELP Xenon gurus help a brother in need...

K here's the deal I have the Euro Xenon Housings...which I moved all my NA Xenon parts into...so they're fully functional, leveling etc.

I leveled them myself the first time but simply marking the OEM lights on a wall in marker...then swapping everything w/o moving the car...this worked pretty well IMHO.

When I put the coil overs on my car I figured they should be re-adjusted...but since I didn't know the exact position of the car I figured I'd let the dealer do it.

So the dealer charges me $40 to adjust my lights...and I come to find that the ****er made my car crosseyed. When I drive towards another car or a wall the pattern begins to slowly grow tighter and tighter until eventually the left and right patterns will swap...it's really f'ing annoying (I have a video which I'll email or FTP to anyone who wants to see it...the file is 2.5 Megs Quicktime...if someone wants to host it that'd be great).

So I get out to inspect the situation and I discover that they have indeed cranked the housings such that they're totally crosseyed...plastic on plastic, it's no wonder the patterns converge and swap :-(

Here's the problem...I figured I'd hack it back into spec myself until I could bitch out the dealer and demand my money back or a proper adjustment. So the drivers side adjusted just fine...but I can't seem to get the pass side right to save my life...it simply won't come up all the way to where it should be. So here's the question...is there some routine to zero out the servos in the VAG tool? I'd imagine that there's some center position they're supposed to be in when the housings leave the factory...then the pattern is tweaked slightly to accomodate variations in production...leaving plenty of room for them to correct the pattern for loads. My guess is that the pass side servo is just slammed all the way down which is keeping me from adjusting that side up.

What is the proper VAG adaptation procedure for adjusting the lights...is there a re-zero or re-center or something like that. Heck the pass side one doesn't even move when you sit in the trunk then hop out...grrrr help if you can please.

BTW - Newport Auto Center...they've been OK but as you can see I have a few gripes.

Regards,

James R.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what you need to did is loosen the three mounting bolts,....

they've got about a centimeter of play, each. center up your adjusters, then do a rough adjustment by shoving the whole housing around, then tighten dem tree bolts down tight, then do fine adjustment with white adjuster screwsy gears, your levelers should take it from there. if you do it right and the dealer won't refund, demand a $40 dollhair service credit for future work. mebbe if you take that video in to dealer it'll help you get $ refunded.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default possible to adjust the servo mounts themselves...

Looking at johnny B's extra set (hint hint, swap with his extra set to see if infact it is something wrong with your servos or if the dealer biased them out into hell.)

how about swaping servos from one side to the other?

ideally you'd like to trim the servos. but as all servos are in RC world, there are high and low trims.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think I got the procedure from Juan...

Take out the Servos on both sides...

Put in transportation / non-Xenon leveler locks...

Adjust to where you'd think you'd like them...

Run the Servo out of the housing either by key or with the VAG output test (which is what I'm doing)

Then pull out the locks once you've adjusted everything...

Put back in the Servos...

Drive to dealer with laptop and video...kick some tech ***...

Thanks,

James R.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

you're there, dude
Old 09-04-2001, 09:57 PM

you for got VODKA over the techs head
Old 09-04-2001, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why but Gasoline works so much better ;-)

Everything is fixed now...for those of you who give a damn. It seems the dealer monkey boy tech cranked on the pass side one so hard that it actually popped the servo out of the ball cup...really ****ty work and a complete bitch to fix, but it's fixed and I intend to get my $40 back come hell or high water.

Regards,

James R.

BTW - Thanks Juan...I owe you a good shot of Vodka not that PapSmirnoff you've been drinkin' ;-)
Old 09-05-2001, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Glad to hear it's fixed...hehe I was ROFL with the "f%&ker made my car crosseyed" comment...hehe :-)