A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

HELP!? How can I get another car's paint OFF my A4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-1999, 08:17 PM
Rob

Default HELP!? How can I get another car's paint OFF my A4?

What the heck, you ask? My wife backed into somebody in our 3-month old A4 Avant and there's a 1 inch x 1 inch black paint 'scrape' on the car. It's definately the other cars paint because I can feel and as was able to remove some of it with WD-40 and some with my fingernail (both without hurting the paint underneath). However, it's sort of bonded on, and I'm curious about what type of cleaner/solvent I can use to more easily remove it, but without removing my silver paint underneath. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-17-1999, 08:29 PM
Andrew

Default Re: HELP!? How can I get another car's paint OFF my A4?

I Use my Girl Fan's Nail Polish Remover & my Nail before,
Give is a try..!
Old 10-18-1999, 05:15 AM
bruce

Default I'd be cautious with the solvent approach (longish)

On the face of it you're asking a solvent to selectively dissolve one paint layer, of unknown formulation, without disturbing your paint/clearcoat. It may be possible but it's much more likely that if you do find a solvent that moves the black paint you'll be softening the next layer, possibly dulling it or worse!!!

I'd continue to try to rub the black paint off with a fingernail or a "spatula", softer than the Audi's finish (plastic, wood, etc). Use something like mineral spirits as a lubricant that you are sure will not soften the finish and won't leave a residue once it evaporates. Dry the area periodically and inspect to make sure that you're not abrading the surface.

If you really want to try a solvent to dissolve the black paint test it first on an inconspicuous area. Most fingernail polish removers contain methyl ethyl ketone, a very effective solvent for many finishes including car finishes.
Old 10-18-1999, 08:40 AM
mitro

Default Holy crap! Be very careful if you use nail polish remover. It WILL remove paint......(more)

I have succesfuly used bug and tar remover to get paint off my cars. It takes a little time and repeated applications depending on how much is on but it works and it's pretty safe.
Old 10-18-1999, 09:00 AM
Ray Calvo

Default Agree totally

I used a nail polish called "Hard as Nails" in lieu of clearcoat paint to provide better rock/chip protection to a touched-up area. This was the recommendation of a Web site. The stuff acted as paint remover instead!
Old 10-18-1999, 09:06 AM
Greg Davis

use a polish or mild compound. Don't use solvents. Turtle Wax Scratch Remover works really well.
Old 10-18-1999, 10:49 AM
GT

Default 3M Rubbing Compound worked well for me...

Got a pretty nasty paint mark on a white Taurus a while ago... used some rubbing compound (i think that's what it's called) and just rubbed it away... was surprised at how well it got rid of the paint mark... however, I'm not sure if it's good for the paint... the paint looked fine to me though, so I'm assuming it's pretty safe...
Old 10-18-1999, 11:59 AM
DaveN

Default Rubbing Compound might be a little harsh...

maybe a polishing compound followed up with a swirl remover.
Old 10-18-1999, 03:05 PM
mm

TRY A CLEANER/WAX SUCH AS MEGUIARS