A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help! Leatherette vs. cloth...Which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2000, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Leatherette vs. cloth...Which is better?

Ok, I've posted this question before. But the responses were right down the middle. So I am trying again in the hopes someone new will respond.

I've found a 2000 A4 1.8T with the exact options I want. Except it has black leatherette seats.

I am concerned that these will be too hot and sweaty in the Florida sun (where I live). I am also concerned about durability vs. cloth. But I may be making too much of this...and I think they do look better than cloth.

Any comments? I'm still leaning towards getting it, hot seats be dammned! dealer says no cloth available anywhere. I am feeling this is the car.

Help me feel better about this so I can go for it......
Old 04-01-2000, 09:30 PM

Default Black Pleather in Florida? I would definately look into...

...what's available in the seat cover market right now if you go that way. Those seats can't be too cozy when it's a humid 95 degrees!

Durability is probably better with the leatherette but I don't have any actual experience.
Old 04-01-2000, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Help! Leatherette vs. cloth...Which is better?

I chose opal gray cloth for Arizona. Maybe you would be fine with seat covers but then what's the point? I wouldn't think resale or durability would be a question. In a state like AZ(or FL) where wearing shorts is a requirement, I think black leather seats would be pretty uncomfortable. I know the dark leather seats I had in another car were!
Old 04-02-2000, 12:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Had leather in a '90 Acura Legend in San Diego...(long)

and my girlfriend constantly complained about hot seats whenever she wore shorts or a skirt. For me, it didn't make that much difference since guys' shorts are longer, BUT the sweaty-back factor sucked. If it's hot, you'll have to blast the AC (so there goes the reason for getting a sunroof). To solve the problem I bought seat covers. Then I started asking myself "What's the use of paying extra for leather seats if I'm hiding them under seat covers?" Also, the leather started to crack after a few years--you have to treat them regularly. Finally, in the winter, the seats are kind of cold (though this may not apply to you).

I also had an '86 Integra with cloth seats and the seat threads didn't start deteriorating until around '97.

I picked up a '00 A4 with cloth seats because of my experince with leather and cloth and the fact that the sport seats are only available in Leather (2.8 only) and cloth. And I love the sport seats.

Good luck with your choice. I know it's hard to resist, especially when the car is right there and the dealer is dangling the keys in front of your nose and telling you a bunch of B.S. about how there's no cloth available. But there's gotta be a car out there with cloth seats if you really want them. Remember, you're the customer, and if he really wants your business, he'll work for it and find the car you want!
Old 04-02-2000, 03:47 AM

Default I couldn't have said it any better

GOOOO, you said it perfectly. Overall, cloth is more practical, especially when you consider that it doesn't change temperatures as easily as leather (or leatherette) does. Leatherette looks nice, but the Audi cloth isn't cheap stuff. It's a very high quality, durable cloth. Not only is it more practical, but cloth is also more grippy if you're the type of person that likes cornering (if you're buying an A4, you better like cornering!) and could use some extra grip in those sharp curves. Go for the cloth! I'm sure your dealer will find a car with it if that's what you really want.
Old 04-02-2000, 06:15 AM

Default Is what you enjoy what makes the car...

If the black leatherette fills your eye with joy then don't worry about it, because even if you burn your butt or your back is sweaty you are still going to enjoy it. If you are the kind of guy that cares more about his comfort than his car looks then don't bother and get the cloth... 'cause I have to say, the A4 (To me, anyway) looks way nicer with the leatherette.

Jorge
'99 1.8TQMS (yeap, with leatherette!)
Old 04-02-2000, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default HEY DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am from florida and have the onyx leatherette. sure it gets hot but its no big ****. it will look like new in 10 years. trust me I KNOW. the cloth won't fare as well. also, the leatherette looks better in a car of this caliber and you know it. i had the same question--- LEATHERETTE BABY>>>>>>>>>>

colette_m@hotmail.com
Old 04-02-2000, 06:47 PM

I have black leatherette in Florida... no problem, go for it (never thought they're too hot)