A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help me choose a suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose a suspension...

Forgive the length, and multiple questions. Yes I have searched and still have questions I've been able to findanswers to...

Been a lurker for about 2 months since I bought a used '01 1.8T Tip FWD A4...really appreciate this board and all the info you guys contribute. I've done quite a few things already that I normally would have taken to a mechanic but took the plunge with help from posts here. Undertaking CV/Axle swap this weekend, thanks for the recommendations on dealing with Raxles, great to do business with.

To my questions: I've chipped it, plan on exhaust, then a K04 upgrade soon, maybe a stage 3 someday, but want to do suspension before I add any hp. This is a daily driver and I am not interested in tracking it. It has to retain some ride comfort or my wife will veto the whole deal...which means I'll have to sell my new toy.

Thinking I should do springs/shocks first. I don't necessarily need a lot of adjustment and don't want to slam it 2+" so not sure if I need coilovers or not...looking at both. Go with coilovers just for adjustment potential?

Currently looking at H&R Touring Cup kit, H&R Coilovers, Koni coilovers, Vogtland/Koni kit, and Statis street sport kit. Can I get a ranking of these from softest to firmest?

Any other recommendations and how they would fit into the soft to firm scale? Appreciate any help, need to make a decision soon.

JC
Old 09-09-2008, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default H&R S4 coilovers... Stiff, my dad doesn't like them, but i don't mind them

Probably a little much for you, I say S4 because the spring rates are higher
Old 09-09-2008, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Get coilovers. Vogtland are a great buy

sources include
avalon motorsports
purems
i think axis motorsports
or startup racing

they are a great coilover that have a fairly "stock" feel during daily driving (not much more stiff then my sport suspension i had on the car). But when you need them to firm up.. they really do

In regards to power upgrades... I've learned save your money for the big purchase. No reason to do thing in stages if you plan on going big in the end. Just save your money and keep the car reliable. Get all the little bugs worked out, then when you have the money to do it go big!

But you have a tip, plus a fwd... Not really a platform you want to start modding

Best of luck
Old 09-09-2008, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Expert

his car is FWD, rears won't work
Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm not offering them, I'm adding my opinion about them!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default yes, but H&R S4 coilvers won't work in general

since all S4s are quattro
Old 09-09-2008, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

it was more a company reference... but if you want that cookie, its all yours
Old 09-09-2008, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Get coilovers. Vogtland are a great buy

Thanks for the input, leaning towards the Vogtland simply because it comes up again and again in the searches...and I never hear anyone associate it with "too stiff".

I practically stole this FWD, my first Audi, definately not my last. Great condition, only 70K and was the most fun to drive for a car with good gas mileage (the reason I had to buy a car...I'm normally a redneck truck kinda guy) out of the 20 or so different makes/models I looked at. I plan on having fun with it until I reach the limitations of the FWD...then maybe I can convince my wife I "need" a quattro. Until then...I'll have to dance with the one that brung me.

One of the reasons I looked for and bought an Audi was the ride I took in a supposedly 300HP (crank, not WHP) Tip FWD. Not as much fun as the hot q I drove, but still no slouch for a 3K# car that cruises 90mph in effortless comfort. In the end, the FWD's 28mpg average won out.

Dont' think a Tip FWD could handle 250WHP? That's another question I have...deferring to other's expertise...

I know it won't be a q, but better than driving rice, imho.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default transmissions aren't really up to the abuse (this is from the s4 forum though)

I know there is a level 10 upgrade; my friend and I have looked into it for his car (if he ever went bigger). Basically larger valve bodies.

Plus if you start to put down some really good numbers it's really easy to spin the tires in a FWD

what did your friend have done for 300crank?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

I believe they do have a cup kit for the FWD

Quick Reply: Help me choose a suspension...