A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help me out on Brake Pads stuff!!!!!!1

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-1999, 07:12 AM
Chris C

Default I think mintex are an improvement (more)

If you look at the temp profiles on the Camra Motorsports site, you will see that they are able to handle higher temps than the stock pads. Subjectively, I find that they are less susceptible to fade (tried them out big time descending the Mt Washington Auto Road and driving through the White Mountains). They do have the same initial grip as the stockers, and perform better in the wet.

Chris C
Old 08-17-1999, 08:31 AM
Warren Wang

Default Re: Fade vs. grip

I've had good success with ATE Super Blue. I still managed to boil/expand it a bit at the track, but the Super Blue + Mintex C-Tech (not Redbox) were a large improvement over the stocks at the track. As for streetable? Well, they squeal like hell, although there's not nearly as much dust. I'm pulling them off because I get too much attention in parking lots, plus I'm selling the car early next year.

Warren
Old 08-17-1999, 09:28 AM
PeterV

Default Re: Mintex are an improvement (more) yes yes yes (long)

I ALSO did the Mt. Washington event. The MINTEX are a superior improvement over the stock pads. I went up the Mtn. in 1998 with the stock pads and 1999 with the MINTEX. I have an auto tranny and the 1998 trip I did have some discomfort on the trip down. I did experience fade on the way down. the 1999 trip down was a real test. I was in a group of 6+ Audis and there was a jerk on a crotch rocket who was trying to pass every one on the way down. 2 lane narrow road 2,000 foot drops to the side no guard rails you can envision the situation. I had to use the brakes a lot more as the bike was riding my bumper most of the way down. He was passing at every point and there was NO fade at all. I do 80 mi Intersate travel daily and I no longer have "uh-oh" feeling when I come to my exit in the rain. RedBox personal experience I like them and will put them on my next A4.
PeterV '97 1.8TQ auto Wett Mintex+
Old 08-17-1999, 09:28 AM
Greg Woo

Default Re: Brake Pad Data

Cocoa:

Here is some technical data to assist you. Use it for reference as you contact various suppliers or manufacturers regarding the pads they sell.

SAEJ866a, better known as the Chase Test, is intended to provide a uniform means of identification which may be used among different manufacturers to describe the friction characteristics of brake linings. The Chase test assigns a two character Edge code (Example: EE, FF,GG) to a specific friction formulation. These alpha characters represent the coefficient of friction when a 1" square piece of friction material is subjected to varying conditions of temperature, pressure, and rubbing speed on a Chase test machine (basically a modified brake dyno.)

The coefficient of friction measured by the Chase test describes the relationship between the two forces acting on the friction material. A clamping force is exerted on the friction material resulting in a resistance force. These friction coefficient are then stamped or inked into the edge of the brake pad by the manufacturer. Most reputable manufacturers voluntarily "edge code" even though it's not required by law.

The first letter of the code represents the normal friction coefficient. This is determined by four sample stops on the dyno at 200, 250, 300, and 400 degrees fahrenheit.

The second letter of the edge code represents the hot friction coefficient. This is determined by 10 sample stops, fade induction, and fast recovery stops at temperatures ranging from 300 to 650 degrees fahrenheit.

Based on these tests, a friction coefficient rating is assigned.
C 0.55
The friction coefficient is basically the relationship between the clamping force and the resulting resistance force. So, the higher the letter rating, the greater the cold and hot performance of the material on the brake dyno.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Greg Woo
NEUSPEED
Old 08-17-1999, 09:35 AM
GW

Default Re: Brake Pad Data

Sorry,
The chart for friction coefficient didn't print. I'll try it one more time
C </= .15
D = .15 TO .25
E = .25 TO .35
F = .35 TO .45
G = .45 TO .55
H = OVER .55
The higher the letter code, the higher the frictional resistance for a given clamping force.
Old 08-17-1999, 09:49 AM
ErikR

Greg, great info! So, what are the stock and Mintex numbers???
Old 08-17-1999, 09:57 AM
ErikR

Default Re: Fade vs. grip

Warren had the info on the Pagids. I find pad performance advice to be really subjective. Some people hate the rising rate pad feel of the stock set up, even if the distances were the same.

Ate makes great products. I would just use what you have. The reason why I prefer 5.1 fluid is not that Dot 4 is bad, it's not. It is that 5.0 can be left in a lot longer and has superb wet specs. An clear example is the Ford racing Dot 3.0. It has great dry numbers, but in a month the wet numbers a really poor. Well, if you race, that is a non-issue since you are changing your fluid all the time (and its cheap).
Old 08-17-1999, 10:52 AM
DaveL

Default Peter, did you only upgrade pads or did you do rotors also?

I'm looking to get rid of that "uh-oh" wet braking situation and was wondering if you also did slotted rotors to help shed the water from the rotor. I planning on Mintex with ATE Powerdiscs.

Dave
'97 1.8TQMS Wett<ul><li><a href="http://131.107.68.28/a4.org/registry/details.asp?car=161">My Mods</a></li></ul>
Old 08-17-1999, 10:58 AM
stanj

Default I second that....

Thunderhill in January: Stock pads pulverized. Sears Point in June and Thunderhill in August, much more aggressive driving: Mintex held up without any damage, faded less (but still). Overall, I'd say get them!

- Stan
Old 08-17-1999, 12:15 PM
Steve S.

Attn: Jason/Matt (the post above is FAQ quality..pls consider it as an FAQ)

Quick Reply: Help me out on Brake Pads stuff!!!!!!1