A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help please: I don't want to add a sub (just amp +4 speakers). Which 6.5's have the best bass?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-1999, 06:41 AM
Clark

Default Help please: I don't want to add a sub (just amp +4 speakers). Which 6.5's have the best bass?

I found these Sony's that the specs look pretty good on. The archives talk a lot about MB Quarts etc... but I can't find anywhere where someone has asked about getting as much bass as possible out of the stock locations. Suggestions? Looking for something under $500/pair.<ul><li><a href="http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-RaEr5JsxPhA/ProdView.asp?bid=22638&store=1&sid=S-RaEr5JsxPhA">Sony Xplod Mobile ES</a></li></ul>
Old 09-23-1999, 07:23 AM
Mike Kwok

Default They actually say MB Quarts are too Bright...don't ahve experience (more)

with these in particular. They also say AD/S are really good. Also don't ahve experience with these, but I'm really impartial to Rockford Fosgate Fanatic Q's. Nice Crossovers and good Bass. If these Sony's are the red ones then they are okay too..I just don't think they are musical enough....Nothing really beats a British Speaker.

Mike
Old 09-23-1999, 07:37 AM
Conker

Default I have MBs.. they are bright, but they respond lower than the others I looked at....

no 6.5" is going to "hit"... but they will let you hear the sounds that the factory speakers won't.
Old 09-23-1999, 08:12 AM
Clark

What do you mean 6 1/2 won't "hit"?
Old 09-23-1999, 08:25 AM
LA

Default Re: What do you mean 6 1/2 won't "hit"? (sorry, kind of long)

"Hit" -meaning your bass response won't be quite what you expected... alright, it's gonna be pretty weak. Many people like the deep, trembling bass; this can be derived from subwoofers, or if you just want a speaker, you may want to go with 6x9's... I know a lot of people prefer seperates, however, to get a clearer, more responsive sound which you can adjust to you preferences.
Old 09-23-1999, 09:00 AM
alan t.

I don't get it; if you want bass and you're buying an amp, why not get a subwoffer? It's awesome!
Old 09-23-1999, 09:06 AM
Greg

Default subwoofer. sorry I gotta be nit picky.

And yes, one or two or more will make a HUGE difference in your audio system. You may want to consider adding one.

Greg
99.5 1.8TQM soon to be Garrettized
Old 09-23-1999, 10:08 AM
Clark

Default Will add one later (space and $$$ constraints) but would like to improve bass now.

I don't want a big box sitting in the trunk (I need all the room). I explored a free-air rear deck option, but that's where the CD changer is and the amp will be (don't want to give up trunk space again). So that leaves us with a custom box and another amp to have custom installed. I won't have the $$$ to do this for a while. I already have the a/d/s amp so adding speakers right now is what I've settled on.

Question again: Opinions on speakers with excellent lows?
Old 09-23-1999, 10:33 AM
LA

Default Re: Will add one later (space and $$$ constraints) but would like to improve bass now.

try infinity or alpine or boston 6 x 9's.... I also think MB Quart makes one.... unfortunately, holes (i think) will need to be altered...
Old 09-23-1999, 10:41 AM
LA

Sorry to keep pushing the 6 x 9's, but don't think you'll be able to get a good Bass resp. from 6.5

Quick Reply: Help please: I don't want to add a sub (just amp +4 speakers). Which 6.5's have the best bass?