A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Help!! Scratched by snow brush

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2000, 05:34 AM
Love My Audi

Default Help!! Scratched by snow brush

Our 2000 1.8TQ Tip is always in our garage, but visited brother-in-law in Ottawa and it was parked outside (sin, I know) and there was a heavy snow. My husband (love him dearly -- but almost made it to divorce court) used an Oskar snow brush to remove heavy snow. When we handwashed it a few days later, we noticed the fine scratches on the panels around the window and on the truck lid. I'm hoping it only scratched the clearcoat (if there is one?). What should I do?

Karen

P.S. Never use a snow brush on anything but windows!!!!
Old 01-22-2000, 07:06 AM
Andrew

Default Re: Help!! Scratched by snow brush

I feel your pain--but don't panic. Of course, if you need an excuse for divorce court...

Anyway, look for a good swirl mark remover and/or scratch remover, depending on the depth of the scratches.

Personally, I use Meguiar's Paint Cleaner, which also reduces light swirl marks. I use it with a random orbital buffer, and the results have been fantastic. Followed up with a nice coat of wax, similarly applied, and the finish will look at least as good as new.

Just don't use too harsh a product than is necessary. I would also strongly recommend using a random orbit machine, as the results are both quicker and better than those achieved by hand.

Andrew
Old 01-22-2000, 07:19 AM
Stace

Default Andy Hedin, speaking of snow brushes, how is that snow broom from Brookstone? I ordered it, but(more

due to a shipping mix-up (I recieved an emergency shovel w/serrated edge). It should be here any day.
Old 01-22-2000, 08:52 AM
Regl

You can shop for Brookston stuff online @ http://www.outpost.com w/ Free Overnight Shipping in US
Old 01-22-2000, 01:38 PM
Andy Hedin

Default I haven't used it much yet....

...we had 2-4 inches a few days ago and I used my snow broom a little bit in the morning. But at that time, there was only 1-1.5 inches of snow on my A4. The snow broom worked well although I suspect it will really be perfect to use on something greater than 4 inches of snow. We're expecting another 3 inches or so tonight so I'll try it out again tomorrow morning. If the weather ever warms up again, I'll wash my car and pay close attention to see if I notice any scratches...I'm not expecting to see any but you never know.

Andy Hedin
Old 01-23-2000, 04:59 PM
Ray Calvo

"Finesse-It II" by 3M works great for me (nt)