A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Here is Some Info on How Service Indicators Work

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-1998, 07:44 PM
Dale B

Default Here is Some Info on How Service Indicators Work

I've never seen a good explanation of how that various service indicators in the A4 are programmed to come on. (These readouts, OIL, IN1, IN2 replace the trip odo readout). Here is what is going on with them:<p>OIL indicator: Can be programmed to come on at any even number of thousands of kilometers (NOT MILES) from when it is reset by the dealer (or someone with the proper tool/software). For example, it can be set to come on in another 10,000 km (not 10,500, for example). For setting to a certain number of miles, the miles have to be converted to the nearest 1000 km (1 mile equals 1.6 km). The OIL indicator doesn't have any date input. (For example, you can't set it to come on in 10,000 km or 6 months, whichever comes first). If this indicator, or one of the ones below, comes on, or doesn't come on, when it should, it likely was programmed wrong. Maybe someone didn't know miles and km aren't the same.<p>IN1 indicator: This has a setting for number of km just like the OIL setting (but independent -they don't have to be set to the same thing). In addition, the number of days is set until the service. This can only be done to the nearest 10 days.<p>IN2 indicator: This can only be set for number of days, to the nearest 10. (No km function).<p>Notes:<p>1) Apparently the readouts in 98.5 models onward can be reset by the owner. I don't know how this programs the various functions (e.g., to what km/day interval), or if that is even what it does. (The procedure is apparently in the owner's manual and has been previously posted).<p>2) There is apparently no practical limit to the maximum number of km/days that can be input to the system. An owner that never wanted to be bothered with the displays again could apparently have them reset to VERY large numbers, say 400,000 km, 90000 days. I don't know if a dealer would balk at this, but the procedure for doing so is exactly the same as just resetting to shorter intervals. Or, alternatively, they could be used for shorter intervals, if, for example, you wanted to be reminded of oil changes every 3,750 miles (half the 7,500 recommendation for a 2.8 engine, or exactly 6,000 km, coincidentally, so this would be easy to accurately program).<p>3) For dates, the system uses differences, not actual dates. The system doesn't know or care what year it is, what month it is, etc. Therefore, no Y2K problem!<p>4) Info is from Audi service manuals, so is only as accurate as they are.<p>Another interesting tidbit (at least to me):<p>There are occasions when the instrument cluster has to be replaced. Every new cluster has the ability for the odometer reading to be reprogrammed, ONCE, and only upwards. For example, if your car, with 25,000 miles on it, has the cluster replaced, the brand new one can be be set to that mileage. As with the service indicators, this is programmed in km, but can be done to the nearest 10 km. It can ONLY be done to an odometer showing under 100 km (63 miles). (So, no one can take your used car and advance the odometer reading accidentally, or on purpose.) It isn't even possible to reprogram it downwards from, say 60 miles, to say 10 miles. This is a good thing - a dealer can't erase test drive miles.<p>I hope the above is of interest to someone!<p>
Old 11-09-1998, 03:28 AM
randall

Default which manual did u get this from. I have some of the manuals, and can't find this info.

do i need to get more of them??<br>thankx<p><br>1996 a4 2.8 qms<br>
Old 11-09-1998, 04:13 PM
Dale B

&quot;Electrical Equipment&quot; Manual
Old 11-10-1998, 03:22 PM
randall

Default thankx-i put it on order

nt<br>