A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Hesistation/Slipping in First Gear after Cold Startup - 2.8L V6 (96 A4)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesistation/Slipping in First Gear after Cold Startup - 2.8L V6 (96 A4)

I recently experienced, a few times now, some severe hesistation, as if a clutch slipping in the transmission when I first start driving in first gear after starting my 1996 A4 2.8L V6 up when fairly cold outside (32 deg F or less). Yesterday, I started it up after work and it took off fine at first, but when I went to drive after a complete stop, it just hesistated and kept "chugging" forward like the trans was slipping until I could pull off to the side. Usually this happens upon the first time I gas it to go forward and not in reverse.

When the car is warm or has been running and shut down/restarted, I have no issue with the transmission or shifting or any hesistation whatsoever. Even after a minute or so it runs with no hesistation - only on cold start up and a quick "drive away".

The only recent repair I did was replacing the ICV valve due to poor idle. I sprayed alot of throttle body cleaner on the parts, and thought maybe some of this was still working its way through the intake. But that has been several miles ago now.

So could this be fuel delivery related or water in gas or something to that effect, or just a cold transmission oil upon startup and not priming the pump or delivering the oil to the clutch pistons to apply a clutch?

Anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Transmissions are sealed units and are supposed to be lifetime maintanence free. However, many people notice q little slipping like you have here around 100k miles. Fluid changes usually breathe new life into their trannys.

How miles are on your car? If it is above 100k you could consider doing a fluid change: Click here for premium transmission fluid options.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

If it is slipping then the engine will rev up, without the car moving forward normally. Is that what is happening? Low transmission fluid level could cause that symptom.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, basically I was thinking it was the same thing as everyone else - low transmission fluid or just needs a change... maybe getting sludgy and not priming the trans as fast or working through upon cold startup.

Anyone know if there is a special way to check the trans fluid on this trans? While running, after hot? Anything else I should know?

Also, I noticed on ECS that there are some other fluids, yet this takes Dexron as well? Is there any one better fluid than another or one to avoid for Zed F transmissions?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Guru

Received 110 Likes on 100 Posts

Pull codes. Check fluid level. These should always be the first two steps.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by reinstone79
Yes, basically I was thinking it was the same thing as everyone else - low transmission fluid or just needs a change... maybe getting sludgy and not priming the trans as fast or working through upon cold startup.

Anyone know if there is a special way to check the trans fluid on this trans? While running, after hot? Anything else I should know?

Also, I noticed on ECS that there are some other fluids, yet this takes Dexron as well? Is there any one better fluid than another or one to avoid for Zed F transmissions?

Thanks!
For replacement fluid any of the three are quality choices. We've had great success with Redline performance fluids, I would think their standard fluids are also pretty good.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 03-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fluid is good for a MAX of 50k miles, proven by a UOA lab sample. Audi says lifetime, ZF the transmission maker says 30-50k. Who you going to believe?