A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Hey guys. I need some help. I screwed up a CAM tensioner gasket job. Got fault code 16727

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey guys. I need some help. I screwed up a CAM tensioner gasket job. Got fault code 16727

Signal too high. What could the cause of this be? Also, the engine oscillates slowly too. Timing off?

I'm working on a 01 VW Passat, 1.8t, AUG. Just replaced VC and CT gaskets. unbolted the Cams and wiggled the tensioner out. I marked the locations on the chain and cams to make sure they didn't skip a tooth and put it all back togather. And now it's screwed. Would appreciate any help.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Gonna need more info than that...
Old 11-13-2007, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Submitted too soon. Updated now.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Anyone? Just did some more testing....

and noticed that if I unplug the CAM position sensor in the back I get a code. But if I unplug the sensor in the front where the TB is, I don't get a code and there's no change in the slow oscillating engine speed when I unplug either of these.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Tech Guru

If your wiring is good, I think you need to recheck the cams. :-(
Old 11-13-2007, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What am I checking for? What could have moved? Could the CAM sensor just be busted?

The sypmtoms are that it takes a crank or two to start and the engine idle oscillates (best way I can describe it). It drives fine and there's no loss of power that's noticeable. Constant CEL.

I'll pull the covers off again but I don't know what I'm looking for. The marks on the chain and sprockets lined up perfectly before I put the cover back on.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Tech Guru

If your positive that the marks line up, start looking at the electrical stuff.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't know. I just read a thread at Vortex with the same symptons and they were a tooth off.

I'm gonna pull the VC back off. This sucks. I hope I can reuse the VCGs over again.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When mine was fubar'ed

I had to change my cam adjustment unit, so I did the same as you...take the bearing caps off the intake side, pull up the cam, remove the cam adjuster (replace gaskets), put in new adjuster - re-line everything up, secure....
My car was very hard to start the first time - then it wouldn't start at all. Changed spark and had a long drive home. Car would oscillate as you describe at idle, felt like it was ready to stall. Don't think I threw a code though. Eventally got it to a shop (had other issues as my old cam adjuster unit runners disintigrated and needed to be cleaned out) and my cam chain was off by a tooth. I would swear that I was spot on. I even marked the teeth spacing before and after (I think 12 links)
I'd guess you are off.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yea, looks like I'm screwed too. What really pisses me off is that

my original plan was just to replace the VCG because I knew that was leaking. I did not want to fool with the Cam Tensioner at all, but the guys at the auto parts counter kept insisting that I needed to change it. Well when I got in there, that seal wasn't even leaking anyway. I just needed to replace the VCG and a torn hose - $50 and I'm done. But no, I fool with the Cams anyway, and what I feared most has now happened. It's screwed up and I don't know what the hell the problem is. Probaly damanged the tensioner. Oh well, off to the shop I go. THis sucks!

Quick Reply: Hey guys. I need some help. I screwed up a CAM tensioner gasket job. Got fault code 16727