A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Hidden symphony EQ revisited

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2001, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Hidden symphony EQ revisited

Some of us have to go to work on sundays So I sat around the parking lot playing with the radio while I was "working" and I finally had a chance to fine tune my preferences on the hidden EQ thing. It was the best way to nurse my st.patty's day hangover and deal with having to be at work for 13 hours on a sunny 50 degree (warm) chicago day.

Well it looks like the dual-band thing is most certainly how it works and it's not an 8-band EQ as originally thought of. Sorry if this is old news but like I said, this is a revisiting.

So FFFFRRRR parameters it is, bass on the left and treble on the right for each set of 4. My settings are 55889211. Works beautifully with the trance/house I like to listen to and the Bose system which I originally thought of as a piece of crap, is now very good bordering on excellent... but still far from awesome. At high volumes, the bose still suffers from sound degradation especially in the lower bass frequencies which is expected since this after all, is only a 120 watt system. But it's the best sounding 120 watt system I've ever listened to! It's good enough to unmotivate me to install my 10 inch sub... and I'm even thinking of selling the thing.

From up front, the bass and mid-range is amazingly clean and very dynamic to the subtle changes in frequencies as well as the quick punches of the bass hits. The highs seem more nicely separated and sound image is projected better although it still sounds like it is a bit behind me.

Being a passenger in the rear seats however sucks ***. The bass overpowers everything and sounds like total crap back there because it arrives the listeners' ears sounding very muddy. It's basically torture to the ears and I can see how long trips can get very uncomfortable as a result. But screw 'em, it sounds great up front... so no leg room and ****ty sound for those in the backseat.

Well, that's about as productive as I got this sunday.
Old 03-18-2001, 06:15 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again.. :-P
Old 03-18-2001, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Some of us have to go to work on sundays So I sat around the parking lot playing with the radio while I was "working" and I finally had a chance to fine tune my preferences on the hidden EQ thing. It was the best way to nurse my st.patty's day hangover and deal with having to be at work for 13 hours on a sunny 50 degree (warm) chicago day.

Well it looks like the dual-band thing is most certainly how it works and it's not an 8-band EQ as originally thought of. Sorry if this is old news but like I said, this is a revisiting.

So FFFFRRRR parameters it is, bass on the left and treble on the right for each set of 4. My settings are 55889211. Works beautifully with the trance/house I like to listen to and the Bose system which I originally thought of as a piece of crap, is now very good bordering on excellent... but still far from awesome. At high volumes, the bose still suffers from sound degradation especially in the lower bass frequencies which is expected since this after all, is only a 120 watt system. But it's the best sounding 120 watt system I've ever listened to! It's good enough to unmotivate me to install my 10 inch sub... and I'm even thinking of selling the thing.

From up front, the bass and mid-range is amazingly clean and very dynamic to the subtle changes in frequencies as well as the quick punches of the bass hits. The highs seem more nicely separated and sound image is projected better although it still sounds like it is a bit behind me.

Being a passenger in the rear seats however sucks ***. The bass overpowers everything and sounds like total crap back there because it arrives the listeners' ears sounding very muddy. It's basically torture to the ears and I can see how long trips can get very uncomfortable as a result. But screw 'em, it sounds great up front... so no leg room and ****ty sound for those in the backseat.

Old 03-18-2001, 06:20 PM
Elder Member

Again.. :-P
Old 03-18-2001, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Old 03-18-2001, 06:49 PM
Elder Member

Default I ended up telling my dealer that what ever shows up first I shall take.

I have to go to court tomorrow for my most recent ticket. I'm dereading the Imola thing. Maybe it will finally slow me down. Or maybe cops will just think it's a Taxi. (I hope)
Old 03-18-2001, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default okay...quick question.

if it goes FFFFRRRR...#1 F being front bass...#4 F being front treble...same for the rear....what are the 2 in the middle? Both are mids?
Old 03-18-2001, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it seems to be like this:

[F bass] [F mid-bass] [F mid-treb] [F treb] [R bass] [R mid-bass] [R mid-treb] [R treb]
Old 03-18-2001, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, i will have to go further investigate this.
Old 03-18-2001, 07:10 PM
Elder Member

Default I think for us with Avants (subwoofer std) unfortunately we cannot set our #s the same as you.

Since we have more bass out of the stock setup. I'll try and play with it tomorrow. I have not noticed if the sub it tied to the front or back.

Quick Reply: Hidden symphony EQ revisited