A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Highway Noise "wah wah wah wah wah"

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-1998, 02:14 PM
David P

Default Highway Noise "wah wah wah wah wah"

Does anyone know what causes road noise that goes "wah wah wah" who's pitch stays constant but frequency varies proportionally with speed? When slowing to a stop it goes "wah waaah waaaaaah." etc. At highway speed it sounds like a Diesel engine. The sound's there even when I'm coasting. Could my rotors be warped?? How can I check? The car drives straight as an arrow and doesn't have any unusual vibrations.<p>Thanks,<br>David
Old 11-14-1998, 02:36 PM
HugoM

Default Re: Highway Noise "wah wah wah wah wah"

My A4 used to do that, heck it probably still does and maybe I just got used to it. What it might be is the tire tread or the balance might be off. Do you feel a slight vibration coming from underneath the car? Mine did, I took it to the dealership about three times because of this.I told them the problem became more noticeable at higher speeds (in excess of 65mph).They checked everything, balanced the tires at every visit and said that the problem could not be reproduced due to traffic on the freeway (so they couldn't take the car for a test spin). Sorry I can't give you any more info, good luck on getting it fixed.<p>Hugo<br>98.5 2.8QTipSilver
Old 11-14-1998, 03:27 PM
AlexS

Probably not rotors if it hapens even when you're not using the brakes. If the rotors were warped you'd get vibration under braking.<p>Have you tried to coast in neutral gear? If noise still present then check tires and possibly (but unlikely) wheel bearings. Is your car a quattro? If not, try rotating tires front to back (not across - but you knew that ;-). See if that changes things.<p>If it is the tires, examine for wierd wear and possibly "cupping". There are tire/suspension shops that can "speed balance" the tires on the car. I have had vibrations that only went away after this procedure (not on my A4, of course ;-).<p>Good luck,<p>Alex
Old 11-14-1998, 08:11 PM
Steve Mac

Default Did you just change over to snow tires?

That's kind of what mine sound like...<p>Otherwise, I'm stumped.<p>Steve
Old 11-14-1998, 10:54 PM
ChuckH

Sounds similar to what a center differential carrier bearing would sound like when bad. Atleast how someone described it to me. i have not actually had that problem. I don't think it would do it when coasting though, and they usually don't go out until atleast 100K miles and maybe never. I'd have to say it sounds like a tire issue. Maybe a tire shop would be able to tell you what's going on, but usually only large blocked tires such as truck tires or snow tires will do this. Good luck!<p>Charles<br>
Old 11-15-1998, 10:09 AM
Dale B

Sounds Like Baby Crying in Back Seat. Sorry : )