A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Hit Speed Limiter 131 MPH Yesterday - Should I feel guilty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-1999, 07:23 AM
BenC

Default Hit Speed Limiter 131 MPH Yesterday - Should I feel guilty?

So here is the story. My wife and I were in my 98.5 2.8 QMS Avant yesterday traveling at about 100 MPH on a 4 lane freeway. We came to a straight long downhill section with no cars, good visability and 80 degree temperatures. I put the pedel to the floor and soon hit the speed limiter. I saw a little over 130 MPH when the limiter cut the gas off. I did not feel like I was out of control at all and was not scared at the time. (My wife didn't even complain) However, when I got home I began to feel guilty at this basically childish macho act. I am unsure whether to feel good about this speed run (it was very fun of course) or to feel guilty that I put my wife's and my life in danger as well as exposing myself to a huge ticket. Any one with an opinion? Thanks.
Old 07-12-1999, 07:25 AM
Rob MacK

Get a chip w/ the speed limiter removed? And have more fun?
Old 07-12-1999, 07:44 AM
Ralph Lövenich

Default Re: Hit Speed Limiter 131 MPH Yesterday - Should I feel guilty?

What? You hit the limiter at 131 mph. I hope I'am right, but this should be 210 km/h.I can't belive that you hit the limiter at 210 km/h. I saw 240 km/h on my tacho today and there was no limiter at all.(1.8t without chip-tuning today)<br>Isn't it right to multiply mph with 1,6 to get km/h?<br>By the way, I didn't feel guilty at all!!<br>Ralph from Germany
Old 07-12-1999, 08:19 AM
Metric Man

Yep, limiter is at 210 km/h
Old 07-12-1999, 09:15 AM
RickS

North American cars have limiters on them, we don't have the luxury of limitless autobahns! Oh yeah, only feel guilty if you are Catholic!
Old 07-12-1999, 09:55 AM
Kostas S

Default Re: Hit Speed Limiter 131 MPH Yesterday - Should I feel guilty?

Why should you feel guilty, these cars are designed for speeds in excess of 145 mph. If you use good judgement i.e. only do it in good road conditions no traffic etc. it's not less safe than doing 100 mph. Do you think that they have run tests to determine what top speeds are safe?<br>Here in Canada the speed limit is 100 km/h, it is just a nice round number! The only thing you<br>exposed yourself is a huge ticket! <p>Kostas S.<br>99.5 2.8 QMS
Old 07-12-1999, 09:58 AM
alan t.

Default I think if you drive like this with nobody around as you did, it's o.k. But if you drive like this with any other cars near you, then that disgusts me as the speed differential is too great and you are a driving menace. So no problem with what

dfddf
Old 07-12-1999, 10:32 AM
alan t.

Default How about the need to increase tire pressure at high speed? Some cars require you to increase psi 5 to 10 #'s for high speeds. What a thrill though. nt.

sdfddd
Old 07-12-1999, 11:48 AM
randall

Default why does my 12v run out off steam over 200KPH?

i don't seem to hit a hard limit, seems more drag induced<p>1996 a4 2.8 qm 12v
Old 07-12-1999, 01:12 PM
Clair C.

Default Don't get upset with Ralph - he's writing from Germany! (more)

Since there is no real speed limit on the Autobahn, and since German drivers are much better trained than American drivers (I have drivers licenses in both countries),<br>it is easy and safe to drive 200+ km/hr in Germany on the Autobahn, even in relatively heavy traffic. There is far less of the 55 mph in the 65 mph left lane syndrome there and since the other drivers know how to not react to someone travelling 240 next to them, his position is different.<br>There are only a few places in this country where such driving would be safe, partly due to the fact that we have such a mix of skill levels in this country and also road conditions.<br>I often chafe because I don't feel safe driving my A4 in this country at anything more than about 75 mph, but I have driven at 200+ in many cars in Germany, and safely.<br>Just my 2 pfennig worth.<br>Clair C.<br>98.5 2.8 FWD MAN Santorin Blue

Quick Reply: Hit Speed Limiter 131 MPH Yesterday - Should I feel guilty?