A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Hmmm.....Neuspeed Bilsteins on sport package springs.....thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2001, 03:45 PM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm.....Neuspeed Bilsteins on sport package springs.....thoughts?
Old 09-17-2001, 03:50 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i seriously considered it...still do actually

you however wouldnt get an increase in spring stiffness/care response. You would just regain that like new car condition.
Old 09-17-2001, 04:04 PM
Elder Member

Default Really?.....

The Bilsteins are MUCH firmer, and provide far more rebound resistance than the stock shocks.

Should be a very different ride than brand new stock.
Old 09-17-2001, 04:12 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Default spring damper "theory"... you dont really want a shock doing the work of a spring..

but yes i would say it will be different than replacing the oem shocks. It will react smoother and faster than before. But when you go into the corners i wouldnt expect you to notice a great decrease in body roll
Old 09-17-2001, 04:28 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actually, Bilsteins have digressive valving.

As it was explained to me...this means that the shock will react slowly to extreme jolts, but in slower transitions (like cornering) they will provide more resistance.

I do agree though...it's probably not a good idea to try to use your shocks to do what your springs should be doing. They should both be working in concert.
Old 09-17-2001, 04:30 PM
Elder Member

So do you think it's a bad idea?
Old 09-17-2001, 04:33 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yup!

In my uneducated opinion, the two components are really designed to work in unison. Ideally, they should be matched to one another. Making one stiffer or softer than the other, will result in some kind of "ride imbalance".
Old 09-17-2001, 04:38 PM
Elder Member

Default I know whatcher sayin'....but I've heard that the oem sport shocks aren't THAT much softer.....

than aftermarket springs, and are therefore still a good match for the Bilsteins.

This is what the guys at Greedspeed told me, and it would be in their best interest to convince me it was a bad idea, in order to sell me some springs. Therefore I tend to believe them (unless the guy was simply mis-informed).
Old 09-17-2001, 04:58 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I don't think you'll find a definitive answer here.

We already know that aftermarket springs with stock sport shocks are not a good idea. Many have tried it, and almost all have gone to aftermarket shocks inside of a year.

Very few have tried Bilstein with stock sport springs. The only way to get a really good idea is to try it yourself. The question is...is it worth it? That's up to you.

I couldn't get the answers I was looking for, when I set out to upgrade my suspension...I chose to do it the hard way (trying different setups), until I was satisfied. Frankly, even if I had been able to test drive various set ups, I really would have needed a good 3 weeks in a car (on familiar roads) to accurate decipher the differences between suspension set ups.

I think you've done all your homework. You're probably at a point where you need to pick something based on your priorities. If it turns out to be wrong for you, it's not the end of the world, it's just expensive. :-(
Old 09-17-2001, 05:07 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default I think it would be fine. IF anything, it would ride too stiff..the rebound might be a little slower

than it would be with really stiff springs, but I also don't consider the Bilstein HD or sport to be very stiff (not like the Rallye level dampers)

Remember, the spring essentially sets and maintains the ride height, and the damper controls the speed of the movement. A stiffer shock will resist the upward and downward motion of the wheel, and nothing really else. The stiffer spring rate will mostly improve the car's stance in hard cornering. it resists the lateral forces, it tries to maintain the ride height.

I was considering HDs with my non sport springs even!! I may end up with something else, we shall see.

Quick Reply: Hmmm.....Neuspeed Bilsteins on sport package springs.....thoughts?