A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Hope this works!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hope this works!!

Well, last year I was able to make through a FRIGID winter somehow with a clogged heater-core. Dealer flushed it a few times and it got slightly better but not perfect...whatever that means. Got an "old school" fix-it tip from a mechanic that told me to flip the in/out hoses into the heater-core. Did so yesterday. Thankfully, temp guage is looking good so far and hoping heat will be returning shortly. Anyone tried this?
Old 11-14-2005, 09:24 AM

Default hey, if you managed to flip the hoses yourself you could backflush the core as well

Just need a garden hose and some coolant for topping off ...
Old 11-14-2005, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: hey, if you managed to flip the hoses yourself you could backflush the core as well

Heard that the heater-core is plastic and could run the risk of damaging with a graden hose. Fact or myth?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Joey T

Default Myth. And BTW, replace the heater core.

No flow through the core means weird flow patterns in engine.

Do it right, or don't do it at all
Old 11-14-2005, 10:21 AM

Default don't know what it's made of. But there's only one way to flush the core.

With your reversed hose hookup you're essentially back-flushing, except the crud stays in the system.

Now thinking about it what I'd do in your case is back-flush the core with a hose and drain as much coolant as possible from both the radiator and the block. This is to get rid of the goo that *was* plugging the core but now is circulating in your cooling system, thanks to the reversed hoses.

Just don't open the garden hose valve all the way if you're afraid to damage the core.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Myth. And BTW, replace the heater core.

Yikes, that's what I was trying to avoid. For one, over my head. Two, was quoted like $1200 to do so.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Can both the radiator and the block be flushed (with a garden hose LOL)?

Cause that's what I'd do. Flush EVERYTHING to get rid of any goo and then refill. Wouldn't jump into replacing the heater core yet.

Am I wrong?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Joey T

Default Whre are you? I will do it for half:)

Find a radiator flush safe for plastic, pour iot in the radiator and let it sit, then backflush.

You still have Audi coolant, right? None of that aftermarket crap?

And are you sure it is the core and not a blend door?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree...

I like your idea of just draining it all and refilling. Think I may let it run switched for a while and the flush it all and refill it.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default SERIOUSLY?!!?

Your headlight/CC stalk replacement was more up my alley than a core replacement!

I live in St. Louis, MO. I am using GEEN-YOU-WHINE G12 coolant. Dealer told me it was a clogged heater core, then called an hour later and offered to "get me out of the car".

Quick Reply: Hope this works!!