A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How do dealers adjust transmission cable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How do dealers adjust transmission cable?

After installing Tiptronic kit, one thing I need to adjust is the cable, when I select any gear D or 4 3 2, I notice the transmission changes the gears very rough , and same thing when I select "tiptronic mode", how do dealers adjust that, any body have done it before. Do they use Vag-Tool to do that ?
Old 09-02-2001, 09:21 AM
dpd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do dealers adjust transmission cable?

what cable?selector shaft cable is adjusted with multi-function switch in nuetral and pinned.cars with tiptronic from the factory have both engine and trans computer computing with each other because the engine computer retards timing dring shifts to keep from shiftting hard[also retards going in reverse to keep from banging into gear].your engine computer does not have this capability[if it's stock].also,is the dash display for the trans indicator lit up in block?if it is there's something wrong[tip trans is a 5-speed,your old unit was a 4-speed]
Old 09-02-2001, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine transmission is 5-speed, I checked at dealer before I went for all this trouble. unless you mention the tranny ECU.
There is a selector lever cable adjuster underneath the car that moves back and forward, and it is hold by two screws, when I move toward the front of the car won't start because it is in gear, when I move it toward the back it is working ok, but then the I feel harsh gear changing, it doesn't feel much when it is in tiptronic mode then when it is "D" drive.
I have just tried to move the adjuster more backward it seems it is less noticeable then before, but I don't know how far I should go.
answer to this:,is the dash display for the trans indicator lit up in block .. answer: yes it did when I test drove on highway yesterday.
Not too sure where to go next...
Old 09-02-2001, 11:58 AM

Default VAG-COM it to see if there are errors in the transmission computer.

My car was in limp mode and also had all th lights on, turned out to be a bad transmission range switch. I hear that this switch (costs $575 for parts+labor) controls shifting. Car seems to shift much nicer now.
Old 09-02-2001, 11:59 AM

97 automatic is a 5 speed auto.
Old 09-02-2001, 12:14 PM
dpd

i couldn't remember if the car was a 4-speed or 5-speed,sorry.but,i truly beleive your problem is electronic capability.tranny computers for tip are diffrent than what is in the car now.same with engine ecu.moving the cable,all your doing is moving the manual valve and the multi-function switch[the multi-function switch tells the computer what gear the manual valve is in,which tells the line pressure regulating valve how to control pulse width[line pressure].but the computer has to have the capability of understanding.you may be adjustimng the cable to the extent that the computer is not seeing gear engagement[may be seeing in between gear signal]and sending low pressure signals[line],thus causing failsafe