A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How do I find out if my dealer is "chip friendly"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-1999, 11:17 AM
Andy Hedin

Default TSB: Group 46, Number 97-01, Nov 25, 1997 (more)

<b>Condition</b>

Customer expresses concerns about brake squeal.

<b>Service</b>

Brake squeal is mainly the result of vibrations between components of the brake caliper assembly.

The following procedure has proven effective in reducing brake squeal and may be used for both front and rear disc brake systems:

– Remove wheels, disassemble brake caliper and remove brake discs

<b>Brake discs, cleaning</b>

Clean brake discs using a power disc–type sander with 80 grit sanding disc.

Sand brake discs as follows:
– Lightly sand rotor in a clockwise direction using the leading edge of sanding disc.
– To achieve a cross hatch pattern, continue sanding in a clockwise direction using the trailing edge of sanding disc.
– Deglaze and clean face of brake pads with sand paper as necessary

Slightly chamfer (bevel) edges of brake pads with a file.

<b>Note:
Some front/rear brake pads were supplied with an adhesive (sticky) backing which helps adhere brake pad to the brake caliper
housing and/or brake carrier.

If vehicle is equipped with this type of pad, remove this (sticky) backing and residual adhesive from brake pad and brake caliper
housing and/or brake carrier.

Some front/rear brake pads are supplied with an anti–vibration backing (non–sticky). Do Not remove this type of backing.</b>

– Clean brake pads using a suitable cleaning method.
– Apply a thin coat of Plastilube Moly 3 high temperature grease to the back of the brake pads.

<b>CAUTION!
Plastilube Moly 3 ) high temperature grease must not come into contact with the braking surface of the brake pad or the brake rotor.</b>

– Reinstall brake calipers and wheels.
Old 10-14-1999, 01:54 PM
Ray Calvo

Sent a nasty-gram to NHTSA and AoA
Old 10-14-1999, 06:00 PM
Bill S.

Default I hope I won't be the first guinea pig

My car goes to Clair Nov. 1 for scheduled maintenance. I will complain good and loud about my wet braking horror show last weekend (and other occasions).

If they offer the shields, and if between now and then no one here reports bad experiences, I may let them try this fix.

Is there a good reason I shouldn't do this?
Old 10-14-1999, 07:12 PM
Ray Calvo

Default Re: I hope I won't be the first guinea pig

Bill, only thing I have seen is CONCERNS about the extent of work needed to get these suckers in - apparently calipers/rotors come off as do drive hubs. Concern was getting everything right on reinstallation.

HOWEVER, for all the talk of bad brakes, and the existence (supposedly?) of the shield "fix", NOBODY has stepped forward and said they got it done. I wonder why?
Old 10-15-1999, 12:49 AM
Ulrik

Default Re: Letter from Audi...

Just had my brakes modified yesterday by the local dealer. Here (Sweden) all A4 owners with the "dangerous" brakes have been receiving letters from Audi (first came in March this year) to have their brakes replaced.
I thought this was done everywhere as it should be the same problem no matter country.

The mod includes new brake pads and larger brake shields. First impressions with the new brakes are that they have a "softer" feeling, not tried them in rain yet though.

/ Ulrik
A4 2.6 -96
Old 10-15-1999, 04:54 AM
Bill S.

Default Re: I hope I won't be the first guinea pig

Ray, I wonder why, too. I will find out what I can from the Service Manager at Clair on Nov. 1 when I bring me car in. He's usually very well informed -- reads A4.org and seems in close touch with Audi about customer problems. We'll see. I will post what I learn.

Don't know if it will help, but I will INSIST that my complaints about wet braking are reported clearly on my service record so I have documentation in case of accident. Maybe that will perk them up.
Old 10-15-1999, 05:03 PM
Bill

Default Re: Wet braking (again): questions on Audi brake shields

Roth Audi in Erie,PA replaced the shields on my car a few months ago after much complaining. Said they got them thru the rep who got them from Germany. Anyhow, it has improved the wet braking on my car.
Old 11-08-1999, 01:54 PM
Frank Y.

Default How do I find out if my dealer is "chip friendly"?

One way or the other I will chip my car, However if it would cause warrenty issues I might wait till the car has past it's 3 years (I'll still be in University) Can I just ask the dealer how they handle chipped cars or will that have the service department looking at my car with extra scrutiny?
Old 11-08-1999, 02:02 PM
MarkG

Is San Antonio dealer Chip Friendly?
Old 11-08-1999, 02:21 PM
Kevan

Default Re: How do I find out if my dealer is "chip friendly"?

I just had my 5k service, during the final inspection of the car, I asked my service advisor what chipping would do to the warranty. He said that it was not a problem, and if any issues were to arise with the ECU then these problems would NOT be covered. Nothing else would be affected. This is what he said, I wonder what will happen if I ever have problems with the wastegate rod, etc though. BTW, I went with the spare ECU. HTH

Kevan
99.5 TQMS (Soon Garretted)

Quick Reply: How do I find out if my dealer is "chip friendly"?