A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How do I find out if my dealer is "chip friendly"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-1999, 11:08 PM
MarkH

Default makes me wonder if buying an extra ecu is worth it perhaps...

chip sellers are preying on our uneasiness regarding warranty service. If I don't need to buy an extra I really don't want to spend the extra couple hundred. I've also not heard one case of refused service on the forum, so why is everybody making sure they have an OEM ECU available for service? Are we wasting our money?
Old 11-09-1999, 08:21 AM
Kevan

Paranoia for me =)
Old 11-09-1999, 08:31 AM
RickM

Default Refusal of scheduled service isn't the issue. It's what happens when a warranty claim is made (more)

From everything I've read, there isn't much danger of a dealer refusing to do routine scheduled service simply because he knows the car's been chipped. But that isn't the issue. The problem will arise, if at all, when something non-routine has gone wrong with the engine and the car is still under warranty. In that situation the dealer may (rightly or wrongly) attempt to avoid doing the work for free under warranty by attributing the problem to the chip. Since you don't want to tip off the dealer to such a possible "defense" should that situation ever arise, you want to have a spare ECU in order to swap the original back in whenever the car is taken in for service. That's the thinking behind having a spare ECU; if you don't want to give your dealer ammunition to fight a warranty claim, swap the ECU before each service visit.

Rick