A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

how do I get to the 3rd brake light?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2000, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts
Default how do I get to the 3rd brake light?

Someone suggested to look there for my rattle. Ho can I take it apart? Do I have to remove the entire deck?
Old 06-29-2000, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: how do I get to the 3rd brake light?

you can pull the 3rd brake light shroud off exposing the bulbs....but to actually get the rear deck off, use the following FAQ that I wrote (that will be added to the FAQ section when Jason Teller has some free time):

Removing the Rear Deck
All Years

Christian Long

If your A4 has the child safety seat anchors in the rear deck, you will have to remove those anchors first. Use a flat head screwdriver to gently pry the 3 plastic caps off of the anchors, and that will reveal the metal hooks and the bolts that hold the anchors to the car’s chassis through the rear deck.

Next, disconnect the CHMSL (3rd brake light) wires, the plug can be found underneath the CHMSL inside the trunk.

The front lip of the rear deck is held in place by 3 plastic snap fittings. Pull up on the front of the rear deck and the snap fittings will pop loose. Now the rear deck is free to pull out by sliding it forward out of the rear window area.

There are 3 hooks that hold the rear portion of the rear deck to the chassis, and they pose no problem when removing the rear deck. Once the 3 snap fittings are free, just slide the rear deck forward 1-inch and that will clear the 3 hooks. It is important to make sure these are aligned properly when snapping the rear deck back in place.

NOTE: the A4 speakers are mounted to the chassis underneath the rear deck, not the rear deck itself. If you are looking to access the rear speakers, the rear deck must be removed.<p>Christian J. Long
President - Quattro Club of Florida
Orlando, FL
-----------------------------------
'00 A4 1.8tqsm
'87 944S
'90 Audi 90cs
-----------------------------------
Past Audis:
84 CGT, 85 CGT, 87.5 CGT
90 CQ, 98.5 A4 1.8tsm