A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

How do you all go about cleaning your wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2000, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you all go about cleaning your wheels?
Old 12-15-2000, 01:30 PM

Default Like this...

Rinse 'em down when washing the rest of the car to get rid of the loose brake dust.

Light spray of P21S gel on each wheel.

Use sponge that came with the P21S to rub every surface of the wheel that I can get to.

Rinse off with hose.

Beautiful!
Old 12-15-2000, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

some soap, some water, maybe some wax....
Old 12-15-2000, 02:47 PM

Default This is what I do...

I sometimes spend as much time cleaning my wheels as the rest of the car exterior...

- hose the wheels down with water while I'm washing the car to loosen the caked-on stuff

- After washing the rest of the car, spray on a wheel cleaner like P21S, Griot's wheel cleaner, or P&S, or some other non-caustic stuff

- Get a big soft exploded-tip brush, get it wet and spray it with wheel cleaner to scrub the tires and large portions of the wheel.

- I use one of spider-like sponge sticks, like the kind you use to wash glasses and dishes, you konw the kind it looks like they cut a sponge into little strips and shove them all into a little hole on one end of a 12-inch long plastic handle. I get it wet, spray it with some more wheel cleaner, and it works great to get the gunk out of the wheel-bolt holes and to clean the inside surfaces of the wheel and the exposed parts of the wheel hub and brake assembly.

- Hose the whole mess down, along with adjacent body panels to rinse off any wheel cleaner that may have splashed onto them. Use plenty of water.
Then use some more.

- After drying the rest of the car down, use another set of towels to dry the wheels to prevent water spotting. Also, be sure to jam some of the towel into the wheel lug bolt holes because I usually get water pooling in there.

- Here is another trick I've picked up: Usually, there is a bit of water that may have pooled up at the bottom of the inside rim of the wheel. I stuff a small rag/towel in there to soak up the excess water. Otherwise, when I start driving again the water will spray all over the place again. Be sure to remove the towels from the inside of the wheels or you may have some driveability problems later.

- An occasional coat of wax, inside and out, helps keep the brake dust easy to remove

Have fun!

-PhilJ
98.5 2.8Qtip+
with very clean windows and wheels